Feeding glass catfish

Coryking

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So about a month ago I brought six glass catfish (Kryptopterus vitreolus). Over the past month I have only been able to get them to feed at night when the main tank light is off. So I'm just wondering if there's any way to encourage them to feed during the day.

They're nocturnal fish, so unlikely. Try feeding close to bedtime, they may come out to eat just before your lights go off

… or try live foods like fresh hatched brine shrimp, to see if you can entice them to start

It is my understanding that all Glass Catfish are wild caught and therefore unaccustomed to frozen and prepared fish food . I would say that an aquarist that wants to keep these interesting fish should be prepared to offer live foods exclusively .

They're nocturnal fish, so unlikely. Try feeding close to bedtime, they may come out to eat just before your lights go off
Thank you @CassCats for the suggestion. I understand that they are nocturnal fish but I thought I may at least try to get them to feed during the day. I'll try to feed just before the lights go off in future.

… or try live foods like fresh hatched brine shrimp, to see if you can entice them to start
Thank you for the suggestion. When I next go to my LFS I'll certainly pick some up.

It is my understanding that all Glass Catfish are wild caught and therefore unaccustomed to frozen and prepared fish food . I would say that an aquarist that wants to keep these interesting fish should be prepared to offer live foods exclusively .
Thank you for the reply. I haven't had any problems with the food I offer to the catfish. I've been feeding fuval bug bites, frozen brine and frozen mosquito larvae, they seem to not care about what I feed just when i feed them.

Most reactions

Back