Feeding Cucumber To Suckerfish?

October FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

fifefish

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Would it be possible for me to feed my suckerfish (algae eater) a cucumber and would it effect my tank?

seems this one got missed a few times...

yes you can feed cucumber to plecs. I let mine float and he can swim to the top to feed on it before it sinks. Some people put a weight on them to make them sink, maybe a peg.

is it a plec or what?

yeah you can feed it cucumber if its not a plec id weigh it down you can feed it algae wafers to
scot :good:

how long can u leave iit in the tank?

very much depends on how good your filter is. i drop it in and then forget it. soft white flesh goes first, then over three days the rest goes, skin the lot. perhaps better to put it in when it is just over ripe. Remember don't feed too much.

couple days is fine then remove it. watch at night when the lights are off to see if it actually eats any of it.

you say herbivores but fish eat fish too....and all will eat flies, worms and other aquatic insects and really anything that fits in their mouths.

Best to peel cucumber as the skin often has traces of insecticide or other harmful chemicals. I have found that very few fish turn their noses up at a slice of cucumber, and it never lasts long enough in my tanks to need removing.

Best to peel cucumber as the skin often has traces of insecticide or other harmful chemicals. I have found that very few fish turn their noses up at a slice of cucumber, and it never lasts long enough in my tanks to need removing.

sadly the vast majority of the useful food and fibre is in the skin, over 90% of the white stuff is water, something tropical fish need on the outside, not inside lol. if you are worried about it fouling your water, feed tinned veg. its way better than boiling your own, and actually gives your fish something useful. keep an eye on the salt content though, apart from that it is fine to give.

its just an algae eater..

Thousands of freshwater fish eat algae and have sucker-mouths; its important to identify the fish as some algae eaters can grow to be very aggressive & territorial, while others can grow massive (like over 2ft long) and others are not true algae eaters and need more than veg & algae in their diets etc. So its important to identify the fish properly so you can be sure that you can and are looking after it properly etc.

For a start does it look more like this fish;

http://www.aquariumlife.net/profile-images/algae-eater.jpg

Or this fish;

http://web.mit.edu/lxs/www/cichlids/images/pleco-big.jpg

??
(These two fish in the links above are commonly sold under the vague names of "algae eater" or "sucker fish" etc)

Most reactions

Back