Feeding Cucumber To Pleco

October FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

andyg81

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
read that people feed there plecos cucumber, do you need to wash it with clean water first before putting it in the tank ? i have a female bristlenose pleco - shes about 2 inch's long at the minute so im guessing is fairly young ?

you can feed cucumber, but there is very little nutrition in it (mainly water). A better alternative is courgette, or a number of different fruit and veg can be offered.

just a rinse in tap water should be all that is needed before adding to the tank.

Plecs do usually like cucumber, but there's so little nutrition in it, it's hardly worth feeding, tbh. Courgette, peas, melon rinds, broccoli, apple and slices of tomato (an end piece, with no seeds) are all far better.

The courgette and peas need to be lightly cooked (and the peas need deshelling), as does the broccoli (which also needs splitting open). Everything else (including cucumber, if you do feed it) just needs a quick wash :good:

ill try some apple, ive got them in lol

i just cant believe that fish would ate that kind of stuff lol

one more thing, how long do you leave it in the tank for before removing it ?

apple might indeed be accepted.

I place mine in after lights off and then remove in the morning. Gives the BN plenty of time to graze without risking the food rotting.

Can't add much more to the above, Courgette should be ok for up to 24 hours ime.

maybe, but you'll probably need to soften it a bit first by boiling.

I've tried

brocolli & baby corn - boiled
cucumber
red & green peper
mango

......my BN has eaten it all.

Throw it in, if they eat it all good, if not try another.

Would bother boiling any of it myself

i feed my bn plec cucumber and it loves it! so does my clown loach. you just have to weigh it down because it will float. i use plant weights to do that. but be carfull when you cut the weight not to leave a sharp edge :)

My Oto's like sweet potato, blanched till it's softened, my corys seem to like it too, so maybe your plec will

Most reactions

Back