Feeding Channel Catfish

jhipps835

Reaction score
Hello i am new to this forum. I have a baby channel catfish and was wondering what to feed him. I ve heard you can feed them stuff from around your house like cheeese? Is that ok not as a staple? Also does anyone know of any online livestock of where i can order any more baby channel cats?

Hi and welcome to the forum :good: .

Juvenile catfish can be raised on things like frozen/live bloodworms, krill, mysis shrimp, chopped prawns, bits of cucumber heart etc. I wouldn't advise feeding stuff like cheese though, as this will seriously mess with the fishes digestive system, fish are lactose intolerant animals and no where in their natural diet do they eat anything like dairy products, they simply wouldn't have the right stomach equipment to digest such stuff well, so it is not advised that you feed fish such things etc.
There are a lot of foods which people eat which can be fed to fish, however, there are also a lot of foods which we can eat which can be very harmful (and even lethal) to fish, so you should always check here or similar sites online to see if the food you have in mind is safe for your fish. Another thing to take into consideration is that fish need the right levels of different foods to get the right nutrition into their diet, and that these things may change as the fish grows etc :thumbs: .

Are you aware that these catfish will grow to 27-28inches long on average? I wouldn't advise buying more unless you have a permanent suitable sized home for them to grow up in, it wouldn't be responsable to buy more of these fish if you are not planning on keeping them in the long term as the market is already flooded with loads of channel catfish which no one wants to keep because they grow so large and are expensive to keep etc.
Channel catfish;

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/speci...hp?species_id=6

I would advise an 8-9ft long by 4ft wide aquarium or pond for keeping these fish in minimum.

Most reactions

Back