Fat bloated Silvertip

Muppet9966

Reaction score
Newbie here,
I have a single Slivertip (had other Silvertip and Neon Tetras), but over time all have died.
This fish gets fed a tiny amount one a day.

I assume it's been fed too much, or is it pregnant.
I do plan to get more Silvertips and some Neon Tetras, but am concerned something might be wrong, and I don't want to introduce more if there is.
IMG_20240826_194107.jpg
IMG_20240826_193822.jpg

In the first photo, do the scales stick out like a pine cone or does the photo just make it look that way?

If the scales do stick out the fish has dropsy. This is not an illness itself but a symptom of an underlying condition which could be a bacterial, viral or maybe protozoan infection. Dropsy occurs when the infection has damaged the fish's kidneys and unfortunately there is little that can be done once it has progressed this far. The usual course is to euthanise the fish (clove oil is the most humane way)

However, if the scales are not sticking out it's not dropsy, or not dropsy yet. But it won't be pregnant - egg laying fish can become egg bound though I think this unlikely here.

Thank you.
Its hard to tell if the scales are stuck out like a pine cone, although they do look stuck out abit.
I'll keep an eye out though.

If this fish does die, or has dropsy, is there anything I need to do to the tank to ensure it is not harbouring any bad bacteria.
Obviously I don't want to have new fish in the tank if there's issues in the tank.

Most reactions

Back