Fast Growers With Low Light Requirements Please?

Gazpug

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello,

I am after some nice plants that grow fast and like low/medium lighting and grow wuite tall 50/60 cm. Anyone have anything like this in there tank that i can get hold of.

New to the planted tank world. Any ideas

Cheers

hygrophillia polysperma - it can grow that fast that you may not like it

vallis - like thick strands of grass, different to H.polysperma. this is fast growing but it dends out runners rather than going bushy and spreading all over like above!

if you don't have much light there isn't much need for extra CO2. If there are fish in the tank they will provide plenty of CO2 and also the bacteria in the filter & gravel will produce plenty of it too.

hygrophillia polysperma - it can grow that fast that you may not like it

vallis - like thick strands of grass, different to H.polysperma. this is fast growing but it dends out runners rather than going bushy and spreading all over like above!

H. polysperma
IMG_6795.jpg

It grows fast on its own, never mine the 2wpg, pressurized co2, and EI fertilizing :lol:.

I through a couple pounds away this week....

if you don't have much light there isn't much need for extra CO2. If there are fish in the tank they will provide plenty of CO2 and also the bacteria in the filter & gravel will produce plenty of it too.

This was taken before i put in some desent reflectors and co2. I have put some hydrophillia polysperma. The lighting isnt too bad but it has 4X T8 30W lights. the substrate is roughly 55cm from the lighting. i was going for low to medium plants to be on the safe side. Only because i know that they aint as good as the T5 bulbs. I have posted a pic below.

What are your thoughts?

ta

Attachments

• Picture0006.jpg
    Picture0006.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 26
Bacopa caroliniana wil grow tall. I have a 21" tall tank with Bacopa that is nearly to the top. Egeria densa is one to think about as is Egeria najas, Limnophila sessilifolia, or indica too.

llj

This was taken before i put in some desent reflectors and co2. I have put some hydrophillia polysperma. The lighting isnt too bad but it has 4X T8 30W lights. the substrate is roughly 55cm from the lighting. i was going for low to medium plants to be on the safe side. Only because i know that they aint as good as the T5 bulbs. I have posted a pic below.

What are your thoughts?
You don't have enough plants to worry about using supplemental CO2 in that tank. Also you have heaps of fish and they will be prviding ample CO2 for the few plants you do have. You only want to add extra CO2 when you have a heavily planted tank without lots of fish. Then you need to increase the plant food as well.
Personally I wouldn't bother about using CO2 on your tank unless you fill it up with plants and get rid of most of the fish.

What are your thoughts?
You don't have enough plants to worry about using supplemental CO2 in that tank. Also you have heaps of fish and they will be prviding ample CO2 for the few plants you do have. You only want to add extra CO2 when you have a heavily planted tank without lots of fish. Then you need to increase the plant food as well.
Personally I wouldn't bother about using CO2 on your tank unless you fill it up with plants and get rid of most of the fish.

plant mass doesnt affect CO2. it is the light that drives the plant to use the extra carbon needed for growth. if you just had 1 plant under 10wpg, it would still need CO2 injection because it would die without it, no way could the fish produce enough to keep up with the plants needs. you only have about 6ppm of CO2 in a non-injected tank.

Most reactions

Back