Farlowella Requirements

FoundMoney

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I recently restocked my tank and when I went to the LFS with my 3 year old son, he spotted a farlowella and really wanted to get it. I thought for some reason I had read they were easy to keep but now I'm not quite so sure. I've read conflicting things about them at this point.

The tank is 30 gallons and I have recently added 5 otos as well as the farlowella. Since adding them all I have been slightly overfeeding (at least as compared to when I had only my bristlenose and clown pleco) by adding one or two algae wafers per day. I recently had a large population of snails in the tank so there isn't a whole lot of algae.

I've read that the farlowella will only eat green algae. Does that mean they will not eat algae wafers or does it just mean that they will not eat other types of algae besides green algae? Should I do something to encourage green algae growth in the tank?

The tank is moderately planted and has driftwood and rocks for hiding places. I've read that the farlowella likes hiding places that are higher up. Is this true? How would you create something like that? I do have one piece of driftwood that I have angled up towards the top of the tank. So far however, I have mostly seen the farlowella on the glass at the front of the tank. Maybe he is eating the algae there. Should I now refrain from cleaning any algae off the glass?

Farlowella will indeed eat algae wafers. But the issue is whether they'll get a chance to do so. Mixing them with, say, loaches or Corydoras isn't going to work well. Mix them exclusively with mid to upper level fish, so that there's no competition for food. It's questionable whether they feed entirely on algae; they are more likely aufwuchs feeders, taking green algae alongside insect larvae, tiny crustaceans, rotifers, etc.

Hiding places are not particularly critical; in the wild, they're living in fast-flowing, relatively cool water attaching themselves onto solid objects such as submerged leaves and plants, relying on their twig-like appearance for camouflage. They are gregarious though, and definitely do best in groups.

Cheers, Neale

I've read that the farlowella will only eat green algae. Does that mean they will not eat algae wafers or does it just mean that they will not eat other types of algae besides green algae? Should I do something to encourage green algae growth in the tank?

I don't have any corydoras or loaches in the tank but there is a bristlenose and several otos. I will try to keep slightly overfeeding and change water more often. I'll also try adding the wafers only at night, although I know my bristlenose comes out at night too. Will these two compete for food? My bristlenose is the "king" of the tank so do you think he may prevent the farlowella from eating?

Mixing Farlowella with anything that eats from the bottom is a bad start. By all means see how things go; maybe put one algae wafer at one end of the tank, and another at the other.

Cheers, Neale

I will try to keep slightly overfeeding and change water more often. I'll also try adding the wafers only at night, although I know my bristlenose comes out at night two. Will these two compete for food? My bristlenose is the "king" of the tank so do you think he may prevent the farlowella from eating?

So far the farlowella only seems to suck on the glass. I haven't seen him on the gravel or any plants or wood. Of course I have no idea what goes on at night. I don't see a ton of algae on the glass so I'm not sure he's getting enough food. How much algae do they need to survive?

More than any home aquarium can provide. That's the problem with this species! You could try building a contraption that contains food the Farlowella can get at, but the bristlenose cannot. For example an algae wafer placed inside a narrow PVC tube or glass boiling tube might work. Bung up one end so the food isn't pushed out as the fish slides in. Silicone a sucker or two to the tube (or maybe use those replacement heater grips, with adjustable tags) so it can be positioned on the glass. A transparent container would be great!

Cheers, Neale

How much algae do they need to survive?

Thanks very much for the tip. I took about an 8 inch piece of 3/4 inch PVC tubing, attached two suction cups from a spare heater and attached it to the corner of the aquarium, with one end butted up against the side so the food would not slide out. I put an algae wafer inside the tube before bed last night. The bristlenose could not get at the food but unfortunately the Farlowella didn't find it either. Hopefully, he is either getting at some of the algae wafers I've alread put in the tank or will eventually find this food. I suppose if when I return home this evening it still isn't eaten I will replace it with some fresh food. I may also try putting in some zucchini or cucumber.

Most reactions

Back