Fantastic Guppy

omen666

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I saw this guppy on youtube..........sheesh thats one nice Guppy. I have tried to find those in the UK for yonks and cannot!

Anyone know of a place?

Guppy

The color/pattern pattern type is the Japanese Blue Grass, while the type is the Ribbon type. I've seen my lfs stock ribbon type guppys but not the japanese blue grass ones- if you have any good petshops in your area which often stock lots of exotic fish, they should have no problem getting hold of some ribbon type guppys, they're still pretty uncommon in average petshops in England but they're not that difficult to obtain. I have to warn you though that ribbon type guppys are not that hardy and it they're not pure ones then the attractive ribbon fins may not be present in their fry- they do best in established tanks of 5gallons+ that have a fair amount of planting but a very gentle current/flow from the filter, the tank needs to be kept very clean as these guppys are quite prone to things like split fins and finrot.

Wonder if them males gonopodium still work being that long?

Beautiful fish though :)

Its not the males gonopodium thats long, rather the small fins either side of it that have been selectively bred to be long.

I will have to take naother look lol, thought it was the gonopodium, my eyes are getting worse lol
this type of male guppy normally have a long gonopodium/ thay can not breed with it so you will need a female of this Strain and a normal male

Its not the males gonopodium thats long, rather the small fins either side of it that have been selectively bred to be long.

I will have to take naother look lol, thought it was the gonopodium, my eyes are getting worse lol
this type of male guppy normally have a long gonopodium/ thay can not breed with it so you will need a female of this Strain and a normal male

Thats what i thought :)

Ah i think i have just figured something out. A long time ago i saw some beautiful ribbon tail male guppys, but their gonopodiums were of normal length, but just now i also noticed most ribbon tails have abnormally long gonopodiums, so i thought "whats up with this?".

I think i may have just found out the answer- ribbon tail males can breed but their gonopodiums are too long too, so to create purebred ribbon tails with ribbon tail males and females, breeders surgically shorten the males gonopodiums so they can breed properly;

http://www.e-aquarium.com.au/ribbon-tail-guppy.htm

Pure bred ribbon tails do exist however you need to surgically alter the males gonopodiums for them to breed. Not that i agree with it necessarily, but it goes to show that purebred ribbon tails exist and breeding is possible.

I am happy to have females to cross to my normal Gups if anyone knows where they can be found????

my lfs has guppies that look like that. they are blue but look silvery and they shine with a gloe of white hehe

Modaz has some blue grass i think, but not the ribbon type.

Blue grass are nice fish and seen loads at National Guppy Auction last year in Nott's

I have found them but in order to get them I have to order from Singapore. :(

Shipping is not that bad to be honest but price per pair would limit me on how many I get.

I wish there was someone in the UK who already had them.

who's that xbreed?

The thing is if you dont have a import licence and the fish are checked they will be destroyed.

Most reactions

Back