Fake Or Real?

Theres been tons of posts on this and seen it being sold all over the internet. It is real. Uses the same principle as putting an upside down glass in water and when pulling it out, fluid level in the cup stays the same even though the level on the outside is lower with respect.

Real

Ox :good:

Interesting Idea ... I am just slow I have only been in this Hobby a short time I am only just beginning to know the things you can do with tanks.

Theres been tons of posts on this and seen it being sold all over the internet. It is real. Uses the same principle as putting an upside down glass in water and when pulling it out, fluid level in the cup stays the same even though the level on the outside is lower with respect.

Real

I get how it works in theory, but they had a bubbler in there. If I'm correct the high part of the tank need to be sealed on the top to keep the pressure. If you run a bubbler wouldn't the high part slowly fill up with air?

Real

I get how it works in theory, but they had a bubbler in there. If I'm correct the high part of the tank need to be sealed on the top to keep the pressure. If you run a bubbler wouldn't the high part slowly fill up with air?

Thats what I was thinking lol! *goes to play with glass in the sink*

that is amazing!
what's throwing me off though, i thought these sort of things happened because nothing was disturbing the water inside...but obviously those fish come in and out would rupture the pressure holding it up no? i'm lost :blush:

Theres certainly a few unknowns and id imagine we wont know exactly how this person does it for quite some time, else everyone would have one ;)

it's pressure holding it in. The top of the tall section is sealed. So therefore, the weight of the water pulling down is balanced by the pressure of the outer atmosphere pushing down on the lower pool of water. Its a pressure equalization. If the water moves down, then the pressure above the water in the tall section is less than the atmosphere pressure, so it pushes the water back up.... nothing mystical. Same thing as a straw. Put your finger on the end and cause its sealed, the fluid stays in place because of the atmospheric pressure pushing up on the fluid. In a vacuum, this would not work.

Even if the video is fake the concept is possible :good:

It works exactly like a barometer works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barometer

There is less than atmospheric pressure in the head space above the tall portion of the tank (as someone mentioned, no doubt because they have a pump pulling air away from it).

One atmosphere of pressure can support over a 10 m high column of water, if the head space above the column were as completely evacuated as possible. It looks like in the video the tall portion of the tank is 1 m, maybe 2 at the most, so the pressure above the tall portion of the tank would only have to 90 to maybe 80% of one atmosphere.

Its real, i think it would of taken a long time to do though, music could of been better lol :lol:

Most reactions

Back