Fairy Shrimp

sharkweek178

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Question about fairy shrimp. From what I understand, these are basically a freshwater version of brine shrimp. So why don't we see them more in the hobby? Seems like the would be better suited for our freshwater tanks.

Interesting! We love finding fairy shrimp in tiny, temporary pools that form on slick rock in the desert around here. Never thought about culturing them! Might have to try it. I certainly don't see why not.

But as far as being suited to freshwater, I've stocked freshwater scuds in my aquariums before. The trouble is that they're so delicious, the fish eat them instantly. So brine shrimp's inability to survive long-term in freshwater isn't a problem.

Here's an article about culturing fairy shrimp. Looks fun!

Interesting! We love finding fairy shrimp in tiny, temporary pools that form on slick rock in the desert around here. Never thought about culturing them! Might have to try it. I certainly don't see why not.

But as far as being suited to freshwater, I've stocked freshwater scuds in my aquariums before. The trouble is that they're so delicious, the fish eat them instantly. So brine shrimp's inability to survive long-term in freshwater isn't a problem.
That's true. And I should have clarified that I was thinking more along the lines of hatching and growing them out. Not having to worry about making brine. But I think the issue is more temperature than anything. Fairy shrimps need cooler water to hatch in than brine shrimp. Generally cooler than room temp. So I think your link answered my question.

That's true. And I should have clarified that I was thinking more along the lines of hatching and growing them out. Not having to worry about making brine. But I think the issue is more temperature than anything. Fairy shrimps need cooler water to hatch in than brine shrimp. Generally cooler than room temp. So I think your link answered my question.
That would be the turn-off for me, too...but you have me thinking. Around here, the shrimp seem to hatch in early spring right after snow melt, but I've seen them in summer too, in relatively warm water. Maybe those are scuds, not fairy shrimp? I wouldn't know the difference without catching them and observing up close.

One time Mrs. Badger and I went to the Grand Canyon in early spring, a wild part that hardly anyone goes to. The vernal pools were full of some really crazy looking shrimp. I suspect they were triops, which I didn't know about at the time. Those temporary desert pools are a fascinating habitat.

That would be the turn-off for me, too...but you have me thinking. Around here, the shrimp seem to hatch in early spring right after snow melt, but I've seen them in summer too, in relatively warm water. Maybe those are scuds, not fairy shrimp? I wouldn't know the difference without catching them and observing up close.

One time Mrs. Badger and I went to the Grand Canyon in early spring, a wild part that hardly anyone goes to. The vernal pools were full of some really crazy looking shrimp. I suspect they were triops, which I didn't know about at the time. Those temporary desert pools are a fascinating habitat.

I'm thinking of setting up a tank to grow out some brine shrimp. But then I thought that since fairy shrimp are fresh water, maybe I could have daphnia or something else going in there too.

Most reactions

Back