Extreme Use Filter Issue, with Tidal 75...

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Magnum Man

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
1st off, I love these filters...

so I have 2 of them on a 45 Gallon tank, that currently is holding my Tilapia, before they go outside to their grow out tanks... I'm a couple weeks behind, with all the rain, & resulting flooding we have been getting... so I have 50 male Tilapias in that tank... there are 2 Tidal 75's & 2 - 60 gallon rated sponge filters in the tank... the fish arrived the size of guppies... & in one month, I have 50 - 4.5 - 5 inch fish in there... one of the advantages of farm raising Tilapia, is you can literally stack them in a tank like cord wood... like I said, I'm a couple weeks behind, & these guys grow like crazy, & at this point they are getting fed 3-4 times a day, & they all poop like a pleco... when I fed them last night, I made a mental note that I needed to clean the filters today... well I woke up this morning to another 2 inches of rain last night, & everything is flooded again... I went out to the entryway to check on the Tilapia, & the tank was 2 inches lower on water than last night... I immediately thought the tank must have sprung a leak... couldn't find anything wet, but the rug in the room... a little checking, & I think the filter went from "clean soon", to "too plugged" in a few hours... fortunately the skimmer portion, that I complain about the most, when grossly exposed to air, rather than water, slowed the pumping volume... what happened, was the filter got too plugged, & with the pump motor on high ( because of the volume of fish ), forced water around the outside of the filter cartridge, & the vent holes in the cover ( supposed to be for aeration ) allowed the spraying water out... also the clip, that locks in the cartridge, holds it down, so it couldn't lift, causing more spraying pressure... all in all I lost 3 gallons of water from the tank, before the water level got low enough to reduce the flow, to where it didn't leak any more...

great filters, 5 minutes to clean & service... just don't let them go too long without service... lost no fish, all is good this morning...

Your filtering media should never be higher than the apex of the return chute. so in case of overflowing from clogging, the water should be able to pass over it and still return to the tank.

I don't know if it's ok to post this link (at moderators discretion)

This guy goes really in depth with all the adjustment and hacking you can inflict to these filters.

Thanks… I’ll have to find the time to watch that…
On my own, I think if I put some foam along the back, between the filter cartridge and the wall, it would avoid it from spraying out the vent holes, and at least keep the water in the tank… that and not turn the pump up all the way…

Most reactions

Back