External Filter Hydor Prime 30

DebsR

Reaction score
Probably a stupid question but I have a 2nd hand set up & I got no instructions with the filter. I want to open it up to replace the carbon that is in it with a phosphate remover instead. Do I need to put the filter over a bucket or is there a water leak proof way of opening this and changing media??? :fun:

If you turn off the power to the unit, there should be two taps on both "entry" and "exit" pipes. Close them off by turning them in the opposite direction to what they currently face. Then over a bucket, lift the lid off after undoing any clip you may see. Sorry, I dont have one, just trying to go by a picture and general experience with external filters. You may also want to try the general FW harware forum, as these filters arnt just for saltwater. :)

Morning,
:)

i have both the 10 and 20, so cant see the 30 been any diffrint, as mentiond in the previous post, turn off, turn the taps off,, unscrew them, then unlock the blue catches,take a firm grip and open, then just open over a towel, thies filters can be a bit stiff to open, as for the what ever you want to put in it, just use a filter bag or equivalent,
i have found them to be pretty good and fairly quite as well!
just a spot of advice, give the O ring a good clean when you clean the filter, also the pump head on the inside has the 2 wholes, take a grip and give it a anti clock wise turn to get to the impleller and stuff!
good luck

Hi

thanks guys, I managed it okay - needed hubby to pull the lid off (I'm so feeble!)
cheers

Most reactions

Back