External filter < gravel or < water

njparton

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I've just bought a Fluval 104 external filter to suppliment my UGF that wasn't removing small suspended particles from the water.

Instead of having 2 powerheads I've removed one, putting the outlet of my fluval in the same position and put the intake in the middle back of the tank, about 10 cms above the gravel.

I think I can modify the intake to fit snuggly onto the top of the old uplift, therefore doing away with the fluval intake - I just wondered what people thought of this given that my primary aim in buying the fluval was removal of the small particles that the gravel (on it's own) wasn't filtering out?

Sounds like you have ample filtering for a 130L tank.

I also use Fluval Internals to "polish" the water. I have cut down the sponge like filter media that it comes supplied with and added Interpets Filter Wool. This is great stuff for getting rid of annoying water held particles and it's re-usable.

Nik said:
...I have cut down the sponge like filter media that it comes supplied with and added Interpets Filter Wool. This is great stuff for getting rid of annoying water held particles and it's re-usable....
That sounds really interesting - could you expand and that please?

Which compartment would I put any filter wool into - the final basket above the carbon and biological media?

I use the wool mostly in internal Fluvals (where I stated that I have cut down the sponge media that is supplied as standard) but do also use it in 2 external canister fluvals where it is placed in the compartment usually used for carbon granuals. But I have to say I don't think it makes a great deal of difference wherever you place it.

I'm sure that if you use this wool it will erradicate your floating particles problem :thumbs: :thumbs:

In the past I've doubled up my externals into the uplift tubes to increase filtration and available space for bact. colonies but think now that I'm just making extra work. Ext filters are generally superb at keeping water clear although I only use eheim as main filters, don't know too much about other makes. I'd leave the intake seperate though, it seems to turn the water over faster that way...

scottydog said:
In the past I've doubled up my externals into the uplift tubes to increase filtration and available space for bact. colonies but think now that I'm just making extra work. Ext filters are generally superb at keeping water clear although I only use eheim as main filters, don't know too much about other makes. I'd leave the intake seperate though, it seems to turn the water over faster that way...
Good point, thanks :D

Most reactions

Back