Explaining Spikes In Cycling

fulltilt

Reaction score
If you've read my threads you'll know a few things - I'm new - no, REALLY new!. I bought my first tank ever just before Christmas (second tank shortly after that ;)) and first put water in ANY tank on Dec 30,2005 but there is some weird things happening.

First, I got a 6' tank that needed some work (lids, foam base, etc), so while I was hunting down supplies I got a 4' tank ready to go. Here's the basic run-down :

- the 4' tank was ready to go pretty much. I tagged it as the "LFS tank" as I will do everything that the LFS tells me to do with this tank. I added Sera Nitrivec for 10 days, and have tested for pH, NO2 and NH3 on (almost) a daily basis since Dec 31. On Jan 7 I added plants and some fish (causing a bit of debate on here), but everything is going well and I haven't lost a fish - yet ;). Yesterday's readings did show a NO2 spike (of 0.2) after my highest NH3 reading ever on the 10th (of 1.0). So obviously the tank wasn't fully cycled, but with only 6 fish it's probably getting there soon.

- The 6' tank is more of a long term project, so I've taken my time with that and tagged it the "internet tank". This tank will be a full fishless cycle as advised by rdd, and I've tracked down ammonia and done all the right things for this tank. I had to buy gravel, so washed that as well. Sourced a foam base (eventually) and basically took my time getting the thing setup and operational. Working through the first few paragraphs of the fishless cycle I have the filters running, airstone in place, and the water temp stable at 90. I have NOT added ammonia yet. Yesterday, I was going to sit down and calculate the quantity of ammonia to add to get 6ppm, but I took a 'control' reading first and to my surprise :

pH : 7.2 - just like I expected, because the other tank is
NO2 : 0.1 - WHAT??? ... the NO2 reading on my other tank (4') after "bottle cycling" for 10 days and fish in there for 7 always had a 0.0 reading, and yesterday had 0.2
NH3 : 0.25 - the usual reading in my other tank (4') until I added fish.

What is happening here ?
Has the tank started to cycle itself ?
I haven't added anything to it at all - just the water. It's been running for maybe 2 weeks while we "admire the bubbles" from the airstone and dream of what we will do, but has the tank started cycling itself ?

Yesterday, I did add plants to it as well - some pieces snipped off the plants in my other tank, and what is left of a round-leafed plant that the snails have almost demolished.

Another reason why I haven't started cycling the tank, is that my test kit does not test for NO3, so I was going to buy a kit that does that before I started adding ammonia.

Any advice would be great :)

its most probable that what you are reading is from the plants. it is also possible that there is a very small source already in the tank as well thats been getting processed, e.g. from being washed.

am going to guess its just been those trace ammounts. im curious, what test kit are you using to get such accurate results?

Hi,

I'm using a kit called "Fresh Lab" by Red Sea.

Comes with colour cards with the NO2 card readings being : 0,0.05,0.1,0.2,0.5,>1
and the NH3 readings being : 0,0.25,0.5,1.0,2.5,5.0,7.5
there's also pH 6.2-7.4 and 7.4-8.6 on 2 separate cards.

cheers, will see if i can get some myself from a supplier.

Since you say the ammonia was at .25 "as you expected", I assume you have ammonia in your tap water. Have you tested your tap water to see if you have ammonia and nitrite present in it? That is always a possibility. It is definitely possible that the tank has started cycling. All it takes is an ammonia source and it can begin. So if you have had water in it for 2 weeks and there was ammonia in that original water (from the tap) then it is definitely trying to cycle.

I use API test kits so I dont' have any experience with the Red Sea kits. The readings on the nitrite kit you have really seem to be a waste. The API kit has .25, .5, 1, 2, 3 & 5. I guess anything over 1 is a problem but you would think they would put a little wider range on the Red Sea ones. Are the colors distinguishable from each other?

I'm going to test the tap water now - have not done that yet :eek:

The Nitrite colours are definitely distinguishable, the ppm/colours are :

0 - green
0.05 - sky blue
0.1 - purple
0.2 - burgundy
0.5 - pink
>1 - dark red

OMG ... NH3 = 0.25ppm in the tap water !!!

no wonder the NH3 tests were mostly 0.25

Now I need to re-assess where my 6' tank is actually up to in the cycle, but is my maths correct :

400l = 400,000ml

If I want to achieve 6ppm then I really want to add 2.4ml of NH3, to make it :

2.4 : 400000 which is
6 : 1000000

right ?

Most reactions

Back