Experts: What Are The Chances Of This?

ProHaloSniper

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey,

In the piece of live rock I bought recently, it seems I have what LOOKS TO BE a baby starfish in it. What are the chances of something like this happening? If so, what do they REALLY look like so I can compare? Any pictures?

Thanks in advance,

--Jim C.

Ps: It looks like this: http://www.melevsreef.com/id/tbs/babybrittles_tb.jpg only on a smaller, smaller scale. His whole body plus arms stretched out are the size of a dime.

It is pretty common to have a small starfish hitchhiker. It could be a baby brittle or a asterna(sp).

Enjoy him :)

Edit: I just want to reiterate that I am not an expert. I've only been in the marine hobby for 4 1/2 months now :)

I'm pretty new too (7 mos), but baby brittle's are common. I found at least three in my rocks. Haven't seen them in months as they are shy and will become more reclusive or possibly perish as you add fish. I keep hoping at least one of mine survived and will re-appear when it gets larger.

Thanks guys, thats pretty awesome.

I guess I shouldn't expect too much from him. He receded down into the rock somewhere.

Thanks for the info!

--Jim C/

pretty common... i want one, but no, they give me bristleworms not brittlestars.... Stupid rock, so uninteresting...

I got some, but only noticed them after about 6 months, now there are little starfish legs poking out from the rock all over the place.

Most reactions

Back