Expensive Arowana.

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

F.O.H

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hey whencicwas up my lfs today they finally had their arowana in the tank they have been setting up for months and any way i asked them how much this arowana was.(htis fish was 2 1/2 foot long.)

any way before scrolling down to see how much it was think how much you would say.

£3,689.99p sterling

post how much you thought. see what you were thinking of.

coz you said it was 2.5 feet i was thinking of a silver aro about £80
what kind of aro was it?

i cant remeber the name of it, it originates from the begining of the amazon river where the water is more rich and it is endangered so i can understand the price but jesus i would love to have money like that for a single fish.

was i coloured at all?you should of got a pic i would of loved to see such a expensive fish

next time i go to the shop i will be sure to take a picture to show you all. it is a lovely fish with a giant clown loach as a tank mate.

i cant remeber the name of it, it originates from the begining of the amazon river where the water is more rich and it is endangered so i can understand the price but jesus i would love to have money like that for a single fish.

The only arowana's that can comand prices that high are the high end Asian arowana's such as gold X backs and reds, there are no south american species which are ever worth that much even when full grown.

30" Asian arowana's are unheard of, 24" is an exceptional size for a tank raised specimin.

:shifty:

Was it a platinum arowana? Baby platinums sell for $15,000. A full grown one went for 3+ million dollars.

Platinum arowana are Asian high end Aro's.

The only arowana to come from South America are
Silver, Black ( supposed Blue ) and arapaima, all are capable of growing to 2 1/2 feet ( with the arapaima growing much much longer )

None of them will command that money unless the LFS have their continents mixed up or are very hopeful.

Silvers = #45-75
Black/Blue = #50-100
Arapaima = No idea as I have never seen any for sale in Britain

Was it a platinum arowana? Baby platinums sell for $15,000. A full grown one went for 3+ million dollars.

i take it what you are talking about is a snow white silver aro which is the only SA aro that would be worth that sort of money

but if it was a snow white then their is not much chance of it being for sale anywere but japan

hey whencicwas up my lfs today they finally had their arowana in the tank they have been setting up for months and any way i asked them how much this arowana was.(htis fish was 2 1/2 foot long.)

this is an extremely vague discription, if you saw it, you could at least tell us the color
only asian aro go for over 1k

£300 just about buys you a decent RTG (redtailed gold) Asian arowana, which is the second cheapest Asian arowana after the greens, for a red arowana you are probably looking at £1000 or more, though ive yet to see or hear of one even being sold in the UK, the Asians dont like letting their top quality fish get into western hands.

I've heard that some Arowana's can cost upto £250,000, so £3000 seems pretty cheap :lol:

Most reactions

Back