Excess Fish

alexdallimore

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have purchased a 4 ft rena tank (second hand) with fish. The only problem I have is that the tank is on the limit of its stock level for the fish as they grow. This may not seem a problem but for the fact the last owner bought 1xclown loach who is now 4 inches and 2 tiger barbs. My understanding is that both of these need to have company of their own types. So what do I do. If I buy more Clown Loaches or tiger barbs I will be over stocked. If I don't will they have a crap life. If I did buy more clown loaches they are all a lot smaller in the shops so would that solve it anyway. The tiger barbs I can match in size but then the stock issue again.

Alex

Could you tell us what else is in the tank. It would help people advise you ?

Personally I would give away the clown and get 3 more barbs.

Yeah sure,

I have

6 x rainbow fish
2 x tiger barbs
1 x albino red tail shark
1 x clown loach
6 x siamise stone leapers (thats what it says in Maidenhead aquatics but look like flying fox type things)
4 x algea eaters
3 x rosy barbs

Everything gets on with everything else. The shark is territorial but the tanks big enough that its not a problem and never really bothers chasing anything to to other side of the tank before going back to its hole.

I was thinking of possibly getting rid of the clown loach and the tiger barbs as i was thinking a shoal of TB may start hassling the rainbow fish.

Hope this helps

The tank is a 4ft rena prism tank 120 cm x 41 cm x 55.5 cm (275 lts). Although I think they say is 200lts practicl use.

Alex

what are the "algae eaters"? that isn't a real fish name and applies to several different types of fish, some that stay small, some that get big and mean.

i would take the clown loach back to the shop for starters.

Not sure what the little algea eaters are as I bought the tank from a woman who hated fish but was left with the tank from ex husband. She knew nothing about them so have identified all but them from the internet. They are about 2" in length and are a yellowish white. They spend most of there time attached to any surface eating it.

sound like oto's

otocinlcus vestitus (probably spelt wrong lol)

Sound more like the golden version of the Chinese Algae Eater. Would you be able to post us a picture? If it is them, that's where you might want to start some rehoming, as they really do not make good community fish.

After checking out some pictures the look like golden version of the Chinese Algae Eater. They seem really peaceful in the tank and don't really have much to do with the other fish

Most reactions

Back