Equipment Help

BigBeginner

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Im going to go to the store of the weekend to buy a few live rock and i thought i should double check what equipment ill need so i can buy it ALL at once.

This is a kinda new 55 gal tank

Right now i have:
-Not sure what type of filter or the gph
-A Heater
-Koralia Powerhead (its small so will i need another one on the other side of the tank?)
-Not sure of the wattage on my lights
-A hydro-thermo-meter
-Test kit with pH, Amon, Nitrite, and Nitrate
-Salt
*Please suggest ANY other equipment i will need

I think i will need:
-A sump/fuge (could someone explain more to me about these or give me a link, with what they do, how to get 1, what they are, as i know NOTHING about them, all i know is that they are useful)
*Can someone explain to me what RO water is and if i need the RO pump thingy

I am a totall newb to salt water but I can answer you RO question. RO water is tap water which is filtered through certain membranes to take out all contaminents we get in tap water such as chlorine and other elements which are harmful to fish and corals. You can buy special units which filter the water for you. I have just bought a unit that produces 50gpd of RO water from RO-man.com! The unit will remove usually from 94-98% of contaminents. Most people I have ever spoken to always use it for marines and sometimes for fresh ( depending how dedicated you are)!
If you are going to hopefully be caring for sensitive corals like me then I suggest you get one as corals can sometimes be very sensitive i have read.
Hope this Helps

I'm just researching right now and I don't have any experience, but I can tell you a sump is another tank connected to your main tank. It mainly is there to increase the water volume in the system for stability, but it can also be used for other things you may want to hide from your display such as filtration, skimming and refugium(fuge for short). The fuge is a place for things like macroalgaes and other critters to grow which can be beneficial to your tank. Macroalgaes can overtake a display tank if left unchecked.

I am a totall newb to salt water but I can answer you RO question. RO water is tap water which is filtered through certain membranes to take out all contaminents we get in tap water such as chlorine and other elements which are harmful to fish and corals. You can buy special units which filter the water for you. I have just bought a unit that produces 50gpd of RO water from RO-man.com! The unit will remove usually from 94-98% of contaminents. Most people I have ever spoken to always use it for marines and sometimes for fresh ( depending how dedicated you are)!
If you are going to hopefully be caring for sensitive corals like me then I suggest you get one as corals can sometimes be very sensitive i have read.
Hope this Helps

Thanks ill probably get a filter, i've been useing the drinking water from the huge blue water containers that u put into water foutains, will that work as good as RO or should i still use RO?

My next setup will probably be about this size 55g/240l and I have been thinking extensively about the 'kit' I will be using. For a setup that can house pretty much anything you want:

For lighting: two 150/250W metal halide units ('builder or sign' unit with the bulbs changed to 150/250W 14000K aquarium bulbs) The wattage is really up to you just match it with the unit. 2x 45W T5 actinics. You can go with just the metal halides if you wish they are sufficient.
For water movement: Tunze wavebox (creates that brilliant natural alternating flow) alternatively you need several powerheads, the turnover depends on the corals you wish to keep.
For filter: A sump/ refugium unit probably about 60-100 liters with a return pump that does about an 8x per hour turnover (440gph should suffice) and 38W PC unit for the refugium. Live rock 30kg should be good for a tank that size most can be placed in the display with some broken down to live rubble for the sump. Skimmer there are lots of different ones available Tunze/Deltec/Prizm are fine just check what volume they can handle. If you go with a 'in tank' style skimmer that can go in the sump. A hang on skimmer can be placed on the edge of the display tank.
Test kits: Get decent kits; Salifert or JBL are good reliable kits. You need pH, dKh, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate and calcium. Swing arm hydrometer is fine, just remember to rinse thoroughly after use. Some like to go that little bit further and use a refractometer. A simply thermometer is sufficient preferably with a suction cup to attach to the glass.
For heaters: go for 2x 150/200W heaters. One goes in the display tank and the other in the sump. Two is a safety measure less chance of two breaking down at the same time. (Although I am sure it will happen and does!!). Also keeps both volumes of water at the correct temperature.
Salt: Buy a decent salt and buy the biggest tub you can because it works out more cost effective. Seachem reef salt or reef crystals are two reliable salts that I always recommend. There are many others which may be good but these are the two which I know and trust.

Right now for explanations:

A sump is a separate tank (an old aquarium will do) usually of smaller volume, which is divided into chambers by partitions. Water from your display tank is syphoned in to the sump and then a pump returns it to the display tank after it has passed the filters. The partitions are either glass or plastic and the chambers are where various filtration can occur (depends on what you want to put in there commonly live rock/rubble). The refugium is a unit used to grow plants/ algae which act as a natural absorber of the nitrates and phospahtes. It can be incorporated into one chamber of the sump. This link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxnugJGiT3o will teach you exactly what you need to do to build a sump. This is part 1 of 2 but the link for part 2 is obvious when you see part 1. You can put macroalgae like caulerpa, chaetomorpha etc in the middle and the light source can just bridge across the sides of the sump. The sump serves a multitude of functions but the key ones are: to hide equipment and expand water volume thereby stabilise water chemistry. I would certainly invest in one if I were you, they can safe a lot of hassel in the future.

R/O water is reverse osmosis water. It is tap water that is purified by membranes to get pretty much pure water i.e. the minerals and ions are removed. There are two ways of obtaining it 1) get your own R/O unit. The more stages and more waste water it produces the better quality the R/O water (in theory). 6 stage R/O filter with 2 D/I units is a high quality bit of kit and will produce somewhere in the region of 98% waste water. 2) buy it from your LFS if they sell it. There are pros and cons to both methods so it is really your preference.

Hope this helps

Regards

My next setup will probably be about this size 55g/240l and I have been thinking extensively about the 'kit' I will be using. For a setup that can house pretty much anything you want:

For lighting: two 150/250W metal halide units ('builder or sign' unit with the bulbs changed to 150/250W 14000K aquarium bulbs) The wattage is really up to you just match it with the unit. 2x 45W T5 actinics. You can go with just the metal halides if you wish they are sufficient.
For water movement: Tunze wavebox (creates that brilliant natural alternating flow) alternatively you need several powerheads, the turnover depends on the corals you wish to keep.
For filter: A sump/ refugium unit probably about 60-100 liters with a return pump that does about an 8x per hour turnover (440gph should suffice) and 38W PC unit for the refugium. Live rock 30kg should be good for a tank that size most can be placed in the display with some broken down to live rubble for the sump. Skimmer there are lots of different ones available Tunze/Deltec/Prizm are fine just check what volume they can handle. If you go with a 'in tank' style skimmer that can go in the sump. A hang on skimmer can be placed on the edge of the display tank.
Test kits: Get decent kits; Salifert or JBL are good reliable kits. You need pH, dKh, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate and calcium. Swing arm hydrometer is fine, just remember to rinse thoroughly after use. Some like to go that little bit further and use a refractometer. A simply thermometer is sufficient preferably with a suction cup to attach to the glass.
For heaters: go for 2x 150/200W heaters. One goes in the display tank and the other in the sump. Two is a safety measure less chance of two breaking down at the same time. (Although I am sure it will happen and does!!). Also keeps both volumes of water at the correct temperature.
Salt: Buy a decent salt and buy the biggest tub you can because it works out more cost effective. Seachem reef salt or reef crystals are two reliable salts that I always recommend. There are many others which may be good but these are the two which I know and trust.

Right now for explanations:

A sump is a separate tank (an old aquarium will do) usually of smaller volume, which is divided into chambers by partitions. Water from your display tank is syphoned in to the sump and then a pump returns it to the display tank after it has passed the filters. The partitions are either glass or plastic and the chambers are where various filtration can occur (depends on what you want to put in there commonly live rock/rubble). The refugium is a unit used to grow plants/ algae which act as a natural absorber of the nitrates and phospahtes. It can be incorporated into one chamber of the sump. This link: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxnugJGiT3o" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxnugJGiT3o</a> will teach you exactly what you need to do to build a sump. This is part 1 of 2 but the link for part 2 is obvious when you see part 1. You can put macroalgae like caulerpa, chaetomorpha etc in the middle and the light source can just bridge across the sides of the sump. The sump serves a multitude of functions but the key ones are: to hide equipment and expand water volume thereby stabilise water chemistry. I would certainly invest in one if I were you, they can safe a lot of hassel in the future.

R/O water is reverse osmosis water. It is tap water that is purified by membranes to get pretty much pure water i.e. the minerals and ions are removed. There are two ways of obtaining it 1) get your own R/O unit. The more stages and more waste water it produces the better quality the R/O water (in theory). 6 stage R/O filter with 2 D/I units is a high quality bit of kit and will produce somewhere in the region of 98% waste water. 2) buy it from your LFS if they sell it. There are pros and cons to both methods so it is really your preference.

Hope this helps

Regards

thats that helps alot, but with a sump, wat do i do with my double filers that came with the tank setup i bought? just put them away?
and if i cant get a sump can i still get a fuge and use my filter system that came with that tank?

Can u explain more about skimmers and recommend wat types i should get? (can they go into the main tank or do i have to have a sump for them?

and could u answer my other question? "Thanks ill probably get a filter, i've been useing the drinking water from the huge blue water containers that u put into water foutains, will that work as good as RO or should i still make my own RO water?"
o and if i use RO water do i add the salt AFTER or while the filter is filtering? and how long should i wait for the salt to dissolve b4 useing it to change water? and do i have to frequently mix it over the time its dissolving?

Most likely i wil not be able to get a sump

and is that all i will need?

Most reactions

Back