Environmentally Friendly Live Rock

HappyGeorge

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Before I go out and buy my live rock is there anything I should read or specific questions I should ask of my chosen supplier.

I understand the issues of fully cured rock and the hitchhikers etc, have read a ton of stuff but just want to make sure its not from some company that rip it off the reef, leave it to die and then reanimate it for my tank.

I know there are lots of choices with colour and structure but would like it to be as environmentally friendly as it can be as the first before I think about how it looks.

Any suggested reading?

Or a link to a previous post as I'm sure it's been covered before but the search just doesn't want to throw up the right subject.

Best thing is to buy from a reefer breaking down a reef - that way you are not taking from the wild

Seffie x

Best thing is to buy from a reefer breaking down a reef - that way you are not taking from the wild

Seffie x

Thanks Seffie that was my first choice but with all these things it depends on location, in fact on fleabay there are whole set ups that are cheaper than 10kg of live rock, but can't believe nobody knows of a company I can buy from that they have already dealt with that they know is not damaging the wild environment.
I don't want to look at my beautiful tank and wonder how much I contributed to destruction of a wild reef.

There is a company in this country who uses rock from a quary, they put it in the ocean jus off Florida for a number of years - but for the life of me I cant remember what it si called :blink:

Seffie x

this is an US company, maybe email them and see if they have a supplier in this country

http://www.liverockusa.com/

Most reactions

Back