Endlers

Ozle

Reaction score
I'm looking to get some Endlers in my tank, got a couple of questions.

Best kept in pairs?
Im not interested in breeding them, so is it best ot have two females or two males? Or is it ok to just put a mixed pair in?

Also, what are thier compatibility with the Siamese Fighters?

Thanks

Usually they get on fine with fighters, unless the fighter is a particularly feisty one.

If you don't want breeding, then only get males (since the females are muich more drab than males), you can keep as many as you have room for.

Best kept in pairs?
No, groups: firstly, they're a social species and secondly, the dominant individual may harass the sub-dominant one to death when they are kept in pairs.

Im not interested in breeding them, so is it best ot have two females or two males?
5 males, because females may be carrying sperm and I'm assuming you're talking about a small tank here?

Or is it ok to just put a mixed pair in?
No, as with most common livebearers, keep at least 2 females per male or all fish of the same sex if keeping small groups (under 20 individuals).

Also, what are thier compatibility with the Siamese Fighters?
Depends on individual fish and the set-up… post a photo and give dimensions.

Its a 64L tank, H 37 x W 60 x D 32 cm. Still cycling at the moment so a ways off yet.

Is it easy to tell the difference between males and females (just in case the fish shop people don't have a clue)

The females are very drab with almost no colour.
I have 3 male endlers in with my fighter without any problem, in fact the fighter takes no notice of them at all.

I have 3 male endlers in with my fighter without any problem, in fact the fighter takes no notice of them at all.

Ditto this, in my 50L. Gorgeous little things. Females are greyish and much bigger, look like female guppies. Males are tiny and flashy.

Its a 64L tank, H 37 x W 60 x D 32 cm. Still cycling at the moment so a ways off yet.
That's a perfect tank for a Betta with a few companions. I would say that it should easily be able to take the number of Endlers I have suggested :)

Is it easy to tell the difference between males and females (just in case the fish shop people don't have a clue)
Male livebearers have gonopodiums, females have anal fins: that's the only surefire way to tell the difference in adult fish.

For sexing your endlers, please see the article at the top of this section on gender determination. It is located here. For KK and others, endlers break the rule about needing excess females. They are simply not aggressive breeders, if you have pure endlers. As a breeder of wild type endlers, I never worry about the ratio of males to females.

For KK and others, endlers break the rule about needing excess females. They are simply not aggressive breeders, if you have pure endlers. As a breeder of wild type endlers, I never worry about the ratio of males to females.
Remember to prefix with "in my experience" because we all have different ones! ;)

In my experience in keeping and breeding wild type endlers, in general, they were calmer, but some individuals were just as bad as, or worse than, guppies. So I advise 2 females per male just to be sure that the person asking does not have problems.

Most reactions

Back