Empty tank - Deep clean or leave it ?

SushiRollsAquabuds

Reaction score
Hello everyone, sadly my betta has passed away and now I’m Left with an empty tank. He had an fungal infection of some sort.

If I were to get another betta in the future, would I have to clean up the tank or just do water changes? I don’t want the sickness to spread to other bettas.

If he died of a fungal infection, I would probably sanitize the tank if it were mine. It is true that these pathogens tend to be present in the tank, and only strike when a fish is stressed or otherwise weakened. But if it were mine, I probably wouldn't take the chance.

If he died of a fungal infection, I would probably sanitize the tank if it were mine. It is true that these pathogens tend to be present in the tank, and only strike when a fish is stressed or otherwise weakened. But if it were mine, I probably wouldn't take the chance.
Do you know on how to sanitize it ?

This all the steps one would take if Fish Tuberculosis was present in the Aquarium. This text is not from me but it represents exactly what I do in any tank that become epidemic.

1. Remove Everything:
  • Carefully remove all water from the tank. Dispose of it down the drain, If you dispose of it in a toilet be sure to disinfect it after, do not use storm drain, as it could potentially spread the bacteria.
  • Take out all decorations, gravel/substrate, filter media, and any plants (real or artificial).
2. Disinfection:
  • Wear gloves for this process.
  • For decorations and hard surfaces: There are two main options:
    • Bleach solution: Mix 1 part household bleach to 10 parts water. Soak everything for at least 10 minutes. Rinse thoroughly afterwards multiple times with clean water to completely remove any bleach residue, which can be harmful to fish.
    • Recommended: 10% hydrogen peroxide solution. Soak for 15-30 minutes. Rinse thoroughly afterwards with clean water. Hydrogen peroxide is less aggressive than bleach and breaks down into water and oxygen, leaving no harmful residues.
  • For gravel/substrate: Debate exists on disinfecting gravel. Here are the options:
    • Not recommended: Boiling the gravel can damage it and alter the beneficial bacteria needed for a healthy tank.
    • Alternative: Discard the gravel and replace it with fresh, sterilized gravel. let sun dry completely.
  • For filter media: This depends on the type of filter media:
    • Disposable filter cartridges: Discard and replace with a new one.
    • Reusable filter media: If it's ceramic or bio balls, you can disinfect them using the same methods as decorations (bleach or hydrogen peroxide solution). Rinse thoroughly afterwards. However, consider replacing them if they're old or heavily clogged.
  • For real plants: Unfortunately, disinfecting plants is difficult and may not be effective against fish tuberculosis bacteria. It's generally recommended to discard them.
3. Aquarium itself:
  • Wipe down the inside of the aquarium with your chosen disinfectant solution (bleach or hydrogen peroxide).
  • Pay close attention to corners and crevices where bacteria can hide.
  • Rinse the aquarium thoroughly afterwards with clean water to remove any disinfectant residue.
4. Drying:
  • Allow everything to air dry completely before reassembling the tank. This can take 24 hours or a lot more.
5. Additional Considerations:
  • If you have other aquariums, disinfect any nets or equipment that may have come into contact with the infected tank.
  • Consider letting the tank sit empty for a minimum of 7 days before setting it up again.
Important Note: While these steps should effectively eliminate most fish tuberculosis bacteria, some sources recommend consulting a veterinarian for even more thorough disinfection procedures, especially if you plan on using the same gravel or decorations again.

Remember, fish tuberculosis is a contagious disease. If you have other aquariums, monitor them closely for any signs of illness. Early detection and treatment can help prevent further outbreaks.

It is very serious.

Hello. I've always cleaned a tank with a generous handful of standard aquarium salt dissolved in a pitcher of warm water and a sponge. I don't think you need to use anything else.

It depends whether the fish had just fungus or whether it had fish TB as discussed in another thread.

If it was the latter, fish TB is difficult to eradicate with some suggestions it can survive even bleach. In this case salt will do nothing.
But if it was fungus and only fungus, then yes, milder treatments can be used.

It depends whether the fish had just fungus or whether it had fish TB as discussed in another thread.

If it was the latter, fish TB is difficult to eradicate with some suggestions it can survive even bleach. In this case salt will do nothing.

This all the steps one would take if Fish Tuberculosis was present in the Aquarium. This text is not from me but it represents exactly what I do in any tank that become epidemic.

1. Remove Everything:
  • Carefully remove all water from the tank. Dispose of it down the drain, If you dispose of it in a toilet be sure to disinfect it after, do not use storm drain, as it could potentially spread the bacteria.
  • Take out all decorations, gravel/substrate, filter media, and any plants (real or artificial).
2. Disinfection:
  • Wear gloves for this process.
  • For decorations and hard surfaces: There are two main options:
    • Bleach solution: Mix 1 part household bleach to 10 parts water. Soak everything for at least 10 minutes. Rinse thoroughly afterwards multiple times with clean water to completely remove any bleach residue, which can be harmful to fish.
    • Recommended: 10% hydrogen peroxide solution. Soak for 15-30 minutes. Rinse thoroughly afterwards with clean water. Hydrogen peroxide is less aggressive than bleach and breaks down into water and oxygen, leaving no harmful residues.
  • For gravel/substrate: Debate exists on disinfecting gravel. Here are the options:
    • Not recommended: Boiling the gravel can damage it and alter the beneficial bacteria needed for a healthy tank.
    • Alternative: Discard the gravel and replace it with fresh, sterilized gravel. let sun dry completely.
  • For filter media: This depends on the type of filter media:
    • Disposable filter cartridges: Discard and replace with a new one.
    • Reusable filter media: If it's ceramic or bio balls, you can disinfect them using the same methods as decorations (bleach or hydrogen peroxide solution). Rinse thoroughly afterwards. However, consider replacing them if they're old or heavily clogged.
  • For real plants: Unfortunately, disinfecting plants is difficult and may not be effective against fish tuberculosis bacteria. It's generally recommended to discard them.
3. Aquarium itself:
  • Wipe down the inside of the aquarium with your chosen disinfectant solution (bleach or hydrogen peroxide).
  • Pay close attention to corners and crevices where bacteria can hide.
  • Rinse the aquarium thoroughly afterwards with clean water to remove any disinfectant residue.
4. Drying:
  • Allow everything to air dry completely before reassembling the tank. This can take 24 hours or a lot more.
5. Additional Considerations:
  • If you have other aquariums, disinfect any nets or equipment that may have come into contact with the infected tank.
  • Consider letting the tank sit empty for a minimum of 7 days before setting it up again.
Important Note: While these steps should effectively eliminate most fish tuberculosis bacteria, some sources recommend consulting a veterinarian for even more thorough disinfection procedures, especially if you plan on using the same gravel or decorations again.

Remember, fish tuberculosis is a contagious disease. If you have other aquariums, monitor them closely for any signs of illness. Early detection and treatment can help prevent further outbreaks.

It is very serious.
Thank you, I’d follow these steps. Even if he did not have TB id just follow this process just to make sure.

If fish TB was possible in the tank, even if I bleached it out it would still stay in the tank.. in this case would nothing be possible to get rid of it? I will plan on leaving it soak in bleach for a few days (1-2) for extreme safety.

If anything happens to the next betta then I am sure that I would have to get a new tank. I am really convinced to get a new tank but I really loved my previous tank.
I wish that there was a way to test the tank for TB or other diseases that would be nice to know.

I will plan on leaving it soak in bleach for a few days (1-2) for extreme safety

Don't let your tank and decor soak that long in bleach, it will damage them and especially your silicone joints. 10-15 minutes is enough.

The crucial point is to let completely air dry before re-using.

Don't let your tank and decor soak that long in bleach, it will damage them and especially your silicone joints. 10-15 minutes is enough.

The crucial point is to let completely air dry before re-using.
Sounds good thank you 😊

Most reactions

Back