Electricity Outs

giblets

Reaction score
Just found out that our department are switching off our electricity for a whole week! Any chance of them surviving that week on their own? ( the room can be quite warm 22°c odd, but oxygen?
Any ideas?
Cheers
Edward

what fish do you have in the tank?
what size tank?
how thick is the glass?
all these factors will effect the answer

A WHOLE WEEK!?!?!?!

Wow. I would recommend a generator, chances of the bacteria in the filter surviving for one week is almost nil.

P.T.

I'd at least buy a 12V pump and as big a solar panel so I could to at least drive water through the filter during the day.....

Or cheaper option, use two car batteries and a 12v pump and swap them each day taking the spare somewhere where you can recharge it.

You can get two or three battery operated airpumps, use two to create oxygen in the water, and then use the other one to be able to stick a tube in your filter and create oxygen there as well. You just have to make sure your filter stays full of water and doesn't drain.

The short answer to your question though, is no they probably won't survive and even if they do the good bacteria wont have a chance.

Yikes, one week...

You should be more concerned with getting the filter working as temperature should be ok... Can you get some battery operated air pump, and build some sponge filters out of them? Hopefully you can use the existing filter sponges for this...

buy a power inverter and a automotive battery.

use the power inverter and battery to keep youre tank running exactly as it is now.

every single day take the battery down and swap it with youre battery in youre car, so that on the drive to and from work each day the battery will get charged.

oh i wouldnt use any lights and unplug the heater to conserve max battery life.

figure a cheap small inverter will cost $30, a battery maybe $40 depending....

csr mel said:

use the power inverter and battery to keep youre tank running exactly as it is now.

every single day take the battery down and swap it with youre battery in youre car, so that on the drive to and from work each day the battery will get charged.

Wow that sounds like alot of work! I would just go for the homemade spongefilters with air pumps approach!

There has to be a less painful solution that that one... :lol:

May be what you can do is to install a UPS, drive only the air pump on it, which drives a sponge filter. With a UPS capacity large enough, air pump shouldn't draw enough current to last a while (a week?).

Just a thought... ;)

Think we are going to route a 30m extension lead in frm another buidling, safest option for our fishes!
Cheers for all the advice
Edward

maybe you should make the people who are turning off the power supply you wil a generator. If the fish all die then they will have to pay to replace them all as they caused it!

It would depend on the size of the UPS. A standard one will keep a computer going for about 20 mins to 30 mins without the monitor, the next size about an hour.

i wouldnt think that a pump and heater would use that much juice, but the light takes a bit. You would probably want 2, take one to work and charge it up. Same as the battery idea, but easier to implement.

The are really heavy tho.

You should include an extra power battery in your emergency kit next time, if you have one. But if the temperature goes down, wrap the tank in a thermal blanket in order to keep in heat. As for the oxygen, I don't know. :dunno:

csr mel said:

perfect :D

Most reactions

Back