"electric Yellow" Cichlid Fin Rot

Stormm

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So on Friday i found one of my fish appeared to have extreme fin rot. Its tail was 85% gone when i found it, and its rear was all red. It was weird because it had seemed fine earlier. So right away i  put it into my breeding box, to keep it away from the other fish while i get quarantine tank setup. I also tested the water everything was fine except the ammonia was 0.25 ppm. So on Sunday i was finally able to get all the stuff i need (LFS is closed on Saturday, dont ask me why lol) I had setup the quarantine in the morning. When i get home i start getting ready to put the injured fish into the tank when i see the Temp started dropping.

So then the heaters busted, so now im heating it up by hand (every 5 hrs or so i put 2 bottles of extremely hot water in, keeps it warm for hours) .I get the fish transferred over and feed it right away, it eats it all when i leave the room. After all the food is gone i started the 4 day treatment of API Erythromycin. After 1 day i noticed no difference, but i dident see the fish eat, which concerned me. I am now in day 3 and i see growth, but im worried its too late. "She" did not eat last night, that i saw, but she may have eaten the left overs off the floor, im not really sure.

So what im wondering, how long should this treatment take, or how long should i do it for?, Other things to note are there is 3 of the cichlids, this one being the smallest of the bunch (by a lot, shes like half the size). Also none of the other fish are injured in anyway, the injured fish barely moves during the day, which i hope is a good thing because i read a lot of fish with fin rot can die of "tiredness".

Any tips would really help. I can send pics if anyone wants too see.

UPDATE: I am on day #4 of the treatment and i noticed yesterday the fin was starting to grow back. But today the fin has white cottony stuff on it, which i have read could be fungal

The major thing to do is keep your water clean. Good luck.

Update: Tonight i am gonna be turning on the filter. Also the was has increased to 8.3 ph, but the ammonia has gone down to 0, the nitrate and nitrite are still at 0.
I am worried that it has spreaded to the fishes body, but yesterday and today it has been very "perky".

UPDATE: The fish is acting way better, swimming around and eating, but i dont think its tail is healing, i think its getting worse

UPDATE: The fishes tail 100% "rottened" off, but now there no redness, and the tail is starting to grow back.

Most reactions

Back