Electric Blue Jack Dempsey Breeding Journal

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CSnyder00

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
For years I have always dreamed of breeding EBJD's. Mid last year, I figured I would give it a shot. I had enough tank space and was tired of breeding just albino bristlenose plecos. I purchased a for sure male EBJD and started this journey.

I let him grow out for about 6-8 months, feeding him a varied diet and letting him get to size. Once I determined he was large enough to handle a mate (7-8 inches), I went and bought three female regular Jack Dempseys. I put them in the tank with him and let the pairing process begin. It took about a week, but he finally allowed the most agressive female to come into his cave with him. After this, I knew he would breed with her. I waited about two weeks, and they started clearing a spot. I fed frozen bloodworms and spirulina brine shrimp along with a pelleted Hikari Cichlid Gold diet. They finally started the ritual and laid eggs. He fertilized like a champ. A week or so later I had free swimming fry. I removed the other two females as they were starting to get stressed from being chased around the tank. They went into a 30 gallon bowfront by themselves.

The fry are now removed from their parents and have been in a 55 gallon grow-out tank for about 4 weeks. Once I can sex them by coloration, I will keep a few females and allow the other bigger two normal females to have a snack during "culling day". I can't think of any other way to keep my breeding stock of blue gene females without having blue gene males.

Anyway, that is where I am right now. Any thoughts or words of encouragement are welcome. Working on growing out the fry to get females to breed with male EBJD's.

CSnyde

Just a word of advice personally I'd not rebreed any of the female fry with the male that is there dad since obviously you want to avoid inbreeding as much as posable not only for health reasons but for keeping good color.
I may be telling you what you already know but figured I'd say it anyways just in case :)

Agreed. I do need to pick out a new male soon. Sometimes they are not as easy to sex when they are young in the store. I won't just buy any male either. I want a healthy and happy looking fish.

Picked up my second male EBJD today! He is AWESOME! I can't wait to grow him out. His colors are already getting brighter after just a few hours. He is about 3 inches long and his fins and everything are perfect. I'm very excited about this project. I will post pictures tomorrow.

Pictures as promised. Just a few days late... ENJOY!

Several Pics of my Male EBJD that produced the blue gene carrier fry I am currently growing out:

DSC00381_zps512a9bfa.jpg

DSC00383_zps1c2ef8b3.jpg

DSC00391_zpsed042bcc.jpg

DSC00380_zpsbaa0b556.jpg

Here are a few pics of my new male EBJD that I am growing out to breed with my blue gene carrier females:

DSC00384_zpseddeda96.jpg

DSC00386_zpse8a97d50.jpg

My 75 Gallon Breeder Tank:

DSC00390_zps91291921.jpg

My 55 Gallon Grow Out:

DSC00389_zpsfb1d463e.jpg

They are both so handsome!!! I love JDs and really wish I could own one. Looking forward to updates!

Thank you! I do love them. They are probably my favorite tank fish. They have been for some time.

So here's a long overdue update on my journal. Since I posted last, I am in the process of a move. I sucessfully bred blue gene carrier fry, and the blue gene carrier fry paired off and are breeding. My other EBJD male that I had started to grow out has died. He got picked on by the blue gene carriers overnight. I don't know what happened. They killed him and had him partially eaten by the time I got up. I will have to make sure the next male is much larger before introducing him (just female introductions maybe). Anyway, I plan on picking up another new EBJD male once I finish moving and everyone is settled. I am making the move with my original sire EBJD today. Hopefully all goes well and he will be in his home by 9PM tonight.

Most reactions

Back