Eheim External Filters

Lt shinysides

Reaction score
Hello
I have a Juwel 180 (180lts) tank and im looking to buy an external filter to enable me to remove the internal Juwel filter to add more space inside the tank.
Im looking for some advice on which is the best for my tank i have about £200 max to spend, ive looked at Eheim, Fluval and both seem good but unsure which model to go for and where to get it from.
Any ideas or advice would be a great help.
Cheers
Lee..

I prefer Eheim, I have used Fluval 305 (about what you'd be looking for?) and Eheim 3e (or 3, there is almost no difference), the Eheim beat the Fluval for me hands down. Out of Eheim ranges, the Classic was very strongly recommended to me by someone who has been using them for years and I will personally recommend the 3/3e series.

Hello
I have a Juwel 180 (180lts) tank and im looking to buy an external filter to enable me to remove the internal Juwel filter to add more space inside the tank.
Im looking for some advice on which is the best for my tank i have about £200 max to spend, ive looked at Eheim, Fluval and both seem good but unsure which model to go for and where to get it from.
Cheers
Lee..

I would suggest the Eheim 2074 or 76 + a full set of Eheim media. also helps if you get the installation set too. FX5, could be, too powerful, same goes for the 2080 pro3

Hello
Cheers
Lee..

I would suggest the Eheim 2074 or 76 + a full set of Eheim media. also helps if you get the installation set too. FX5, could be, too powerful, same goes for the 2080 pro3
cheers for your help any idea where to look for the Eheim? i take it the media is at an extra cost?

A "classic" Eheim -- specifically the 2217 -- would be very good value and works great on a tank this size. Fits fine in the cabinet, and while the hoses are a bit of a fiddle, it's certainly do-able. A couple of years back I got a 2217 for my Rio 180 price at about £75 at Wildwoods, so there are some really good deals out there if you root about.

On the whole Eheim filters last longer and tend to be more reliable than Fluval filters, but I've had good success with both, and would happily buy a Fluval unit if the price was right. But for the sake of 10 or 20 quid, an Eheim of equivalent turnover and media capacity is probably the best bet.

Cheers, Neale

Hello
Cheers
Lee..

I too am an eheim fan, would agree with the above comments by others. Rena also has a lot of value for those in the US. WD

Personally I have only used Fluval filters (which I am very happy with)but one thing to consider for the future, is the possibility that you may want to add an external inline heater to save even more space and clutter. The fluval filters come with ribbed hoses which make it tricky to attatch this type of heater. If I was to set up another tank I would opt for a eheim, they are much loved by loads of people. Hope this helps in your decision making.

thanks

Mark

Personally I have only used Fluval filters (which I am very happy with)but one thing to consider for the future, is the possibility that you may want to add an external inline heater to save even more space and clutter. The fluval filters come with ribbed hoses which make it tricky to attatch this type of heater. If I was to set up another tank I would opt for a eheim, they are much loved by loads of people. Hope this helps in your decision making.

thanks

Mark
Cheers mark
I am leaning toward the Eheim, off the top of your do you no the model number?
Cheers again
Lee

Agree with raptor, if you are on a budget you kind of have to go by the deals you find. Neale has given you the main tip that going with a 2217 is a good size and less expensive since its in the Classic model line. And I can second what Raptor said that very occasionaly there are deals where you get the media within the price, which also saves you. And if you were to find enough of a deal you might be able to swing getting a model from the Pro line (some models of which Raptor mentions) and have a little less fiddling with the hoses etc. (ie. a little more convenience during maintenance.) At the eheim site if you click on downloads, then booklets, you can find the product range pdf and see a chart of the flow rates (as with all manufacturers though you should plan on getting somewhat less actual flow in real circumstances) for the various models. WD

Im not sure what you meant so....I use the Fluval 205, which I am very happy with.

For a choice of eheim I would go for 2217. It has a turn over of a 1000lt and you can get it from here

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/fish/filters_pumps/canister_filters/eheim/13352

for £79.90 excl P&P. You also get filter media.

I would also consider one of the Hydor inline external heater to maximise space in the tank. You can get one from here

http://www.warehouse-aquatics.co.uk/index.php?p=product&products_id=3878&cid=1

for £31.95 excl P&P for a 200w.

Im no expert on either products but have read good comments on both. I would definitely go for these in the future. Buying both would bring You way under your budget....so....bonus.

Hope this helps

Mark

I use the 2217 with the Hydor external heater, and it's a great combo. The Hydor heater plugs into the outgoing hose from the Eheim without any problems, but attaching it to the back of the Juwel 180 can be a pain; I use a bit of string attached to a bulldog clip.

Cheers, Neale

I use the 2217 with the Hydor external heater, and it's a great combo. The Hydor heater plugs into the outgoing hose from the Eheim without any problems, but attaching it to the back of the Juwel 180 can be a pain; I use a bit of string attached to a bulldog clip.

Cheers, Neale
Cheers everyone I've opted for the Eheim 2071 professional 3 after a chat with a chap wear i bought the filter from, £149 all in plus media.
Cheers for all your help!!!
Lee.

Cheers, Neale
I lucked out and have a center brace I can wrap my hydor hanging string around at the top! WD

Cheers, Neale
Cheers everyone I've opted for the Eheim 2071 professional 3 after a chat with a chap wear i bought the filter from, £149 all in plus media.
Cheers for all your help!!!
Lee.

only one thing to say here.
BARGAIN, great deal. if we can help more, give us a shout! :good: :good: :good:

Most reactions

Back