Eheim Classic 2215

daffer

Reaction score
I have just got a new Eheim classic 2215 to replace my Juwel reo 125 internal. my Juwel has a course blue sponge and two fine blue sponges which presumable bacteria grow to take care of the ammonia and a green nitrate sponge the new Eheim has a white filter black carbon filter and six course blue sponges am I missing something or will they do the same job?

confused please help

stick your old juwel media into your new filter, if ther is room for the juwel sponges and yourew stuff .. great!
if not run both together for a month or two, or run the new one, with one of your juwel sponges, cut it up if you need to - but dont let it dry out
that'll make sure you get an instant good bacteria farm in your new filter
just keep an eye on your water stats 'just in case' :)

What you can also do, if the old Classic range have baskets like the newer models is get some of the Eheim Substrat Pro Quartz media, this would replace some of the sponge and does an excellent job of holding and procreating bacteria in the filter.

I have just bought the 2215, there is no basket with this model, i have set it up like the 2213 with noodles, it takes a lot of filling though.

The old fashioned nylon round pot scrubbers like you would get in wal mart or the local dollar store are the best biological filtration media there is.

I knew of a chart on the net where someone did scientific research and the pot scrubbers left them all in the dust.....they had the most surface area by far. Plus they don't clog up and last forever though they might fade after a few years.

I kept my course sponge in the bottom of my 2217, filled most of the canister with 9 sponges I think it was, and then put some pillow stuffing on top for polishing. Worked great for years.

Anyway just thought I would let you know.

Most reactions

Back