Easiest Pairs To Breed?

raeburter

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for small sized cichlids for breeding and I currently have a 30 Gallon(UK) tank. I'm planning to set the tank up with flower pots and rocks for spawning spots and hiding spaces. I would prefer species that are less territorial and would take care of their fries well.

I read about the Neolamprologus brichardi(African) & Apistogramma cacatuoides but the colours do not really attract me. Any other recommendations? I plan to just get one pair or whatever ratio is recommended. Are there any other fishes like the Neolamprologous brichardi where the older fries do not attack the younger fries?

Thanks

all cichlids will be territorial during breeding, maybe rams or some other dwarf species.

different types of kribensis like Pelvicachromis subocellatus from Moanda & P. taeniatus.
Nanochromis transvestitus & N. nudiceps.
Orange chromides
Cichlasoma sajica
Apistogramma agassizi, A. trifasciata, and other Apistogrammas I can't think of currently.
Lamprologus lelupi, not sure if that is spelt right and Neolamprologus subocellatus
Cyprichromis leptosoma & Paracyprichromis nigripinnis

As colin T suggested I'd be tempted to suggest sajica (considering getting some myself), they max out at 6" but normally abit smaller. Another suggestion could be honduran red points (similar to convicts but not nearly as aggressive) but are, in my opinion just as easy to breed and males reach around 5" females smaller.

With past experience Ram and Angel are both pretty easy to breed. Angels may take a while because you need to grow a few out and let two pair off. Convicts could be another option, they do get pretty territorial though, so you would need to make sure they are the only fish in the tank.

convicts are probably the easiest cichlid to breed but nowhere nowadays takes the fry

KRIBENSIS! some apistogrammas are good, look around for different colour morphs of cockatoo's, agazzis and kribs

some can look really drab, and then the next shop will have amazingly pretty versions, so dont give up on the apisto's

I've found rainbow cichlids (Herotilapia multispinosa) to be really easy to breed, and not overly aggressive either. Mine actually just spawned in my 55gal, I have about 300 wigglers right now, there in there with the two parents of course, 4 keyhole cichlids, 3 gold rams, 11 pristela tetras, and a couple dwarf albino bushynose plecos, and I will say that not a single fish in there has nipped up fins. I'll also note that they are fun to watch as parents. The first time they bred for me I thought I had lost all the eggs because I couldnt find them on the day they were supposed to hatch. Well the parents had moved the wigglers about 6 inches into a giant hole they dug in the sand, lol. And then the next day I couldnt find the wigglers, and well, its because they had moved them all the way to the other end of the tank into another big hole they dug, lol.

Nanacara Anomola are easy to breed and the males can be very colourful.

Most reactions

Back