Dwarf or tank-suitable waterlilies (Nymphaea) & predator tank plants

phyrebrat

Reaction score
I'm planning my coldwater predator tank and would like a lily at one end. In the wild where the water is not particualrly deep, the spears and pads grow above the water in an ugly mess. I was wondering if anyone knows of any breed suitable for aquaria, ethically grown etc.

Also, as predators produce so much waste, what would your recommendations be in terms of foreground, mid and background plants for best water cycling.

I'm looking to get a tank around 72x18x18"

Many thanks for your tips

pH

I'm planning my coldwater predator tank and would like a lily at one end. In the wild where the water is not particualrly deep, the spears and pads grow above the water in an ugly mess. I was wondering if anyone knows of any breed suitable for aquaria, ethically grown etc.

Also, as predators produce so much waste, what would your recommendations be in terms of foreground, mid and background plants for best water cycling.

I'm looking to get a tank around 72x18x18"

Many thanks for your tips

pH
lilies will not grow like bamboo, your local lilies should be fine. try aquaric banana plant/banana lily. it looks cool too. reccomend general stem plants for mid/high, some floaters, in the front maybe some mini anubias and anubias in the middle some anubias and plants that look like anacharis (i gathered some from my local waters but be sure to quarantine it or wash it with bleach), if your tank is shallow maybe hair grass it is not true aquatic but some people succeded to keep it in shallow tanks

Giant Vallisneria is a plant I always use in my Cichlid tanks and works really well. Also Java fern is basically to tough for anything to eat it.

Thanks for the replies. I really wanted lilies (I have ideas for my other plants, but have made note of the others noted above, thanks) but I'm thinking it's going to be hard to get a corm 'tuber' hidden in the substrate.

Thanks for the replies. I really wanted lilies (I have ideas for my other plants, but have made note of the others noted above, thanks) but I'm thinking it's going to be hard to get a corm 'tuber' hidden in the substrate.
i honestly thinkk they look good out of the substrate, remember bulbs and tubers and such need aeration, so use some pebbles or balls instead of sand.

i honestly thinkk they look good out of the substrate, remember bulbs and tubers and such need aeration, so use some pebbles or balls instead of sand.
Thanks, that's actually a very good point.

pH

Thanks, that's actually a very good point.

pH
also where are you going to buy your lilies or are you going to harvest them? i also want some lilies so i might use your site!

also where are you going to buy your lilies or are you going to harvest them? i also want some lilies so i might use your site!
I've nowhere in mind yet. At the moment I'm toying between authentic looking environment (but I dont want to use elodea or cabomba, so that's prob out) or something more creative.

Will let you know if I do, though, I wouldn't use wild as I haven't got the nerve for the risk of bringing in snails larvae/eggs, duckweed or other things that can often sneak in despite quarantining etc (esp bl**dy duckweed)!

pH

I've nowhere in mind yet. At the moment I'm toying between authentic looking environment (but I dont want to use elodea or cabomba, so that's prob out) or something more creative.

Will let you know if I do, though, I wouldn't use wild as I haven't got the nerve for the risk of bringing in snails larvae/eggs, duckweed or other things that can often sneak in despite quarantining etc (esp bl**dy duckweed)!

pH
oh i actually want duckweed all of mine are dying lol

Most reactions

Back