Dwarf Gouramis placement recommendations

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TaylorAnn

Reaction score
I have two male, dwarf gouramis in a 20-gallon community tank that are doing fine, but the slightly bigger one can be territorial at feeding time (as expected). I also have a currently empty 20-gallon tank that will have a few algae eaters of some sort and 2 feeder goldfish. I may add some female guppies for now (until the goldfish grow big enough to snack on them), but I am not sure on this just yet.

So my question to you all is, would you recommend keeping them in their current tank together, or introducing one to the new tank…? I know dwarf gouramis are social fish, but not necessarily schoolers of their same breed, but I just want different opinions.

Tank A: other gourami, danios, harlequins, catfish.
Tank B: feeder goldfish, alage eaters, potential guppies.

Thank you in advance and please… if you don’t know anything on the subject, please do not offer nonsense advice, (I already receive enough of that lol). Thank you and have a great day! :)

2 feeder goldfish cannot go in a 20 gallon. They get much bigger than most people think. possibly you could put one in there, but they are social fish and like to have a buddy (or buddies). I don't know much about gouramis, but guppies would look nice in a 20 gallon. If you get males and females they will breed and eventually overrun the tank, but if you get only males or females that would work out great.

2 feeder goldfish cannot go in a 20 gallon. They get much bigger than most people think. possibly you could put one in there, but they are social fish and like to have a buddy (or buddies). I don't know much about gouramis, but guppies would look nice in a 20 gallon. If you get males and females they will breed and eventually overrun the tank, but if you get only males or females that would work out great.
I am well aware of how big goldfish get. We had one get to almost 7 inches once! lol. Please understand, this setup is only temporary until they outgrow the tank. We have the old goldfish's 50 gallon on standby. I would just like to downsize for now and don't have the space for it right now. As for the guppies, the males are staying in a separate tank for sure because they are already breeding. Considering I used to have a massive amount of mollies and couldn't control the breeding, you would think I learned my lesson, but nooo. At least I was somewhat prepared this time. Only one pregnant this time (so far). -_-

Thank you though! :)

Most gouramis are not social, they are highly territorial and males will fight and kill each other. Dwarf gouramis (Colisa lalius) is a highly territorial species and you should only have one male per tank. You can have females with the male but only one male per tank. Male dwarf gouramis have colour (red, blue or red & blue striped). Females are silvery/ grey and don't have any real colour.

Ideally, each male gourami should be in its own tank.

If you post pictures of the algae eaters, we should be able to ID them for you. :)

Most gouramis are not social, they are highly territorial and males will fight and kill each other. Dwarf gouramis (Colisa lalius) is a highly territorial species and you should only have one male per tank. You can have females with the male but only one male per tank. Male dwarf gouramis have colour (red, blue or red & blue striped). Females are silvery/ grey and don't have any real colour.

If you post pictures of the algae eaters, we should be able to ID them for you. :)
I can vouch for this. My tank is 29g and I started it with a single dwarf gourami, 6 cories and a dozen neons. Within a week everyone was terrified of the gourami and the little bastard would go up and down the entire tank harassing everybody for food and territory. Plants, decorations, didn't help at all. It got to the point that I had to set up a 10g tank just for him, and a snail. And I've seen him poke and try to bite that snail many, many times.

He might be a special needs fish 🤣 but from this experience I've decided that male gouramis being "peaceful community fish" is fake news.

I only said that cause I am not sure yet. I don't need any ID's but if you are wondering, I am thinking of maybe a few Otos? maybe a pleco? Or this tiny little yellow thing that I can't remember the name of (it might just be tiny cause it is a baby in the LFS lol). Since it won't be "my tank" (to take care of) anymore, it isn't entirely my choice lol.

Last edited:
I can vouch for this. My tank is 29g and I started it with a single dwarf gourami, 6 cories and a dozen neons. Within a week everyone was terrified of the gourami and the little bastard would go up and down the entire tank harassing everybody for food and territory. Plants, decorations, didn't help at all. It got to the point that I had to set up a 10g tank just for him, and a snail. And I've seen him poke and try to bite that snail many, many times.

He might be a special needs fish 🤣 but from this experience I've decided that male gouramis being "peaceful community fish" is fake news.
Keep in mind that cories are by nature, shy/timid little guys and dwarf gouramis are still social fishies and shouldn't be kept alone in a tank. I would recommend a few speedy fast, dart-like fishies to keep him company lol. Or even another girl gourami.
Also... I wonder if yours was a regular gourami and not a dwarf one cause I have never seen one that was that mean lol. I wonder also though if it was just cleaning the snail, since they eat and "clean" everything lol. I know they can be mean, but I am just curious cause I know regular gouramis are VERY AGGRESSIVE little biters. lol.

I would not categorize mine as HIGHLY territorial. The only territory related aggression is at feeding time and it really is minimal. Regardless though, do you think a single one would be fine with regular feeder goldfish? I can always move them out if the size of goldfish (as it grows up) becomes too much for the dwarf gourami.

Keep in mind that cories are by nature, shy/timid little guys and dwarf gouramis are still social fishies and shouldn't be kept alone in a tank. I would recommend a few speedy fast, dart-like fishies to keep him company lol. Or even another girl gourami.
Also... I wonder if yours was a regular gourami and not a dwarf one cause I have never seen one that was that mean lol. I wonder also though if it was just cleaning the snail, since they eat and "clean" everything lol. I know they can be mean, but I am just curious cause I know regular gouramis are VERY AGGRESSIVE little biters. lol.

I would not categorize mine as HIGHLY territorial. The only territory related aggression is at feeding time and it really is minimal. Regardless though, do you think a single one would be fine with regular feeder goldfish? I can always move them out if the size of goldfish (as it grows up) becomes too much for the dwarf gourami.
He's a dwarf, alright, and I'm not sure what's his deal, but yeah, he's a mean guy and it's pretty obvious he just prefers to be alone. But I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

I don't think there'd be a problem with feeder goldfish, their size should be enough deterrent if it ever gets any funny ideas, imho

He's a dwarf, alright, and I'm not sure what's his deal, but yeah, he's a mean guy and it's pretty obvious he just prefers to be alone. But I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

I don't think there'd be a problem with feeder goldfish, their size should be enough deterrent if it ever gets any funny ideas, imho
That's okay! You didn't hijack anything! :)
And thanks! I am still debating, I just wanted different opinions. As it is not my tank to maintain, it isn't entirely my choice, so let's hope she accepts him into her new fish community lol.

The main issue I see is the temperature. Goldfish like cooler water than other fish so if you’re going to keep them with a dwarf gourami then try to find a temperature in both of their ranges. As for aggression I’ve had mainly normal gouramis and they don’t get along with other gouramis. My current three spot gourami is not aggressive while all the other normal varieties were, so I think it varies from fish to fish because I have a peaceful three spot leaving shy keyhole cichlids alone in a 40 gallon breeder. Don’t worry if the gourami gets aggressive in that tank I have a 55 gallon semi aggressive tank ready.

The main issue I see is the temperature. Goldfish like cooler water than other fish so if you’re going to keep them with a dwarf gourami then try to find a temperature in both of their ranges. As for aggression I’ve had mainly normal gouramis and they don’t get along with other gouramis. My current three spot gourami is not aggressive while all the other normal varieties were, so I think it varies from fish to fish because I have a peaceful three spot leaving shy keyhole cichlids alone in a 40 gallon breeder. Don’t worry if the gourami gets aggressive in that tank I have a 55 gallon semi aggressive tank ready.
Finally! Someone who isn’t anti-gourami! 😂 (just kidding). I am glad someone understands my situation though. It truly does vary fish to fish. Lol. As for the temp, I think the goal is 76-ish (Fahrenheit) but I need to double check.
Do you know much about the common/feeder goldfish though? Do you think they will leave the gourami alone?
I feel like they would, but I am not super experienced with them and only have the internet to go off of. I grew up with a feeder goldfish that got to be a little more than half a foot, and that one picked on any fish that got sick/anything weaker than itself, but that also seems to be common fish behavior in general sometimes.
Does that sound right to you? Or do you think the goldfish would mind its business (as long as the gourami did as well)…?

Gourami are slow and graceful the majority of the time, so I think the comet/common goldfish might mess with the long (feelers) on the gourami in the beginning. Whether they continue or not depends on the aggression of the gourami in question. If the gourami is aggressive enough to defend itself I think they’ll be fine. If not then the gourami is probably not going to thrive.

Gourami are slow and graceful the majority of the time, so I think the comet/common goldfish might mess with the long (feelers) on the gourami in the beginning. Whether they continue or not depends on the aggression of the gourami in question. If the gourami is aggressive enough to defend itself I think they’ll be fine. If not then the gourami is probably not going to thrive.
This is what I have been thinking. I am going to give the goldish and the Otocinclus(es) (the algae eaters I decided on) a chance to get comfortable then I think I am going to try to introduce the dwarf gourami in a few days or maybe a week.

TO ALL: Thank you for your opinions! I am glad and grateful there are so many willing and able to help me. Thank you!

For anyone who cares, here are the three together. Happy as can be! Not a single sign of aggression from anyone whatsoever! If fact, it almost seems as if they are shoaling (if not schooling) together! :)

Attachments

• IMG_9620.jpeg
    IMG_9620.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 32

Most reactions

Back