Dt Spawn Genetics

Kame-San

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Lately, I've been reading up on betta genetics quite a bit, and have found in a few places that when you spawn a DT with a DT, the spawn has a lot of deformities. So, I have a few questions :)

1. Is this true?
2. Does anyone know what causes this?
3. Is there a way to stop this from happening?
4. Does this only happen when the DTs that are spawned are spawn siblings, which would make the deformities be caused by inbreeding?

Any information would be greatly appreciated :D

Thanks.

Most DTs have some sort of mild spine deformity, but as long as you don't go for really badly defromed parents you should have no problems. Inbreeding is something it would be helpful to advoid.

Most DTs have some sort of mild spine deformity, but as long as you don't go for really badly defromed parents you should have no problems. Inbreeding is something it would be helpful to advoid.

In other words avoid breeding from them!! :nod:

Lately, I've been reading up on betta genetics quite a bit, and have found in a few places that when you spawn a DT with a DT, the spawn has a lot of deformities. So, I have a few questions :)

1. Is this true?
2. Does anyone know what causes this?
3. Is there a way to stop this from happening?
4. Does this only happen when the DTs that are spawned are spawn siblings, which would make the deformities be caused by inbreeding?

Any information would be greatly appreciated :D

Thanks.
1. Yes.
2. Most likely because the DT is due to a genetic mutation that basically makes the top and bottom finnage "mirror images" of each other (which is also why DTs have broader dorsals, it's like a mirror image of the anal fin). It's probably just something to do with both parents having that mutation.
3. I'm not sure if there's a way to stop this from happening... getting unrelated, very high-quality fish would probably help, but really if you want DTs, your best bet is just to breed a DT with a ST that carries the DT gene.
4. No, it's just generally breeding a DT with a DT.

Thanks guys :)

I'm not really thinking of breeding YET, but on another forum there was someone trying to get rid of some bettas as she had too many and needed to re-home some, so she's sending me some. I don't know what she's sending me, but I know she had a lot of DTs and with the possibility of me getting some DTS, I just wanted to know.

I do plan on breeding some time around the beginning of next year (it would be very cool to have a Jan. 1st spawn :D) when I have some money from the holidays, so naturally I would want to know about something like this so I don't cause deformities.

By spawning an ST and a DT, ST would be just about anything, like maybe an HM or a SD?

By spawning an ST and a DT, ST would be just about anything, like maybe an HM or a SD?
That's right. You'd want to use a SD or a HM if it's a long-finned DT, or a PK or HMPK if it's a DTPK. :) But just keep in mind that you won't get any DT fry in F1 if you spawn a DT with a ST unless the ST carries the DT gene.

just be sure that you know what you're going to do with all the fry once they grow up.

Oh, yeah, I wouldn't go into this blind :) I've got people that would take as many as I'd be willing to give up, and I'm prepared to cull if absolutely necessary. Plus, if I get way more eggs that I expected, I'll probably remove some from the nest before they hatch. I know people say that bigger spawns are usually better for first timers than smaller spawns are because a lot of fry usually die, but I think it would be easier raising 100 fry before 400 :p

Most reactions

Back