Dry start method

Dragoflyer

Reaction score
Hi all. I have had a few tanks before. However, I have never really had much success with carpeting plants. I have just bought a new tank, I have seen a dry start method and been on you tube to check it all out. The only thing not mentioned is whether gravel is required.I know soil on the bottom however would i then need fine gravel on top of it. Also best way to grow grass seed or in vitro. Oh one more thing easiest grass to grow.

Thank you all in advance.

Dragoflyer

The only carpeting plants I've ever had any luck with are dwarf sagittaria (Sagittaria subulata) and clover fern (Marsilea crenata). Neither of them require the dry-start method; just a deep substrate and plenty of light. I tried the dry start with dwarf hairgrass and still couldn't get the stuff to fill in, though it did survive for several years.

So, to me, dry start isn't worth the effort.

On the substrate, yes you need a "cap" like sand or fine gravel. This depends upon the fish; if you are intending substrate fish like cories or loaches, I would not use soil. These fish dig and will make quite a mess. But more importantly, there is a bacterial issue which affects substrate fish more because they are living on the substrate.

Growing carpet plants is tricky, you need very good light (intensity) and CO2 may be necessary, it all depends.

On the substrate, yes you need a "cap" like sand or fine gravel. This depends upon the fish; if you are intending substrate fish like cories or loaches, I would not use soil. These fish dig and will make quite a mess. But more importantly, there is a bacterial issue which affects substrate fish more because they are living on the substrate.

Growing carpet plants is tricky, you need very good light (intensity) and CO2 may be necessary, it all depends.
Thanks for the reply. I won't be putting diggers in. As much as I love loaches they won't be going in. I will see how it goes I can but try

The only carpeting plants I've ever had any luck with are dwarf sagittaria (Sagittaria subulata) and clover fern (Marsilea crenata). Neither of them require the dry-start method; just a deep substrate and plenty of light. I tried the dry start with dwarf hairgrass and still couldn't get the stuff to fill in, though it did survive for several years.

So, to me, dry start isn't worth the effort.
Thanks for the reply. I'll look for those plants and see what happens. I will persevere. If it works it works if not I tried lol.

Most reactions

Back