Dream Fish / Dream Tank

Back in the fold

That One Guy
Reaction score
OK, lets's all slip off into a dream world. What is your dream set-up and fish for it. Let's keep it in the realm of remotely possible given your finances.
Mine: a 40 gallon breeder size tank with a school of Bleeding Hearts. Planted and an RO unit to sustain it. I think I might be able to put that together.

Mine would 250 litre with discus, angelfish and rams or a very big tank with Asian arowanna and stingrays if any one wants to see my dream tank watch DIY fishkeeping:)

My dream is aleady fulfilled. I wanted a huge tank with a golden arowana. My LFS and I are besties. He helped me make a tank with a sarotoga [according to Collin T], but I gave it back to him as my red bellied piranahas were killing me. But here is my golden arowana tank which is currently under development as a birthday present for friendship day!!!

th

125 gallon and honestly already love the fish I have so probably just add some more Emerald Cory to the existing group and let my fish do their thing. My BN would have a significant digging area increase. Ha ha! On a side note, that’s something I’ve asked my husband for Christmas (he didn’t say no, but asked what I would do with the other tanks setup through out the house). So we will see in...five months...

My dream is aleady fulfilled. I wanted a huge tank with a golden arowana. My LFS and I are besties. He helped me make a tank with a sarotoga [according to Collin T], but I gave it back to him as my red bellied piranahas were killing me. But here is my golden arowana tank which is currently under development as a birthday present for friendship day!!!

th
Those are beautiful pictures. That big tank is a dream come true. Why waste time fantasizing? You're living the dream man. And that Betta is awesome!

A 150 gallon reef tank with clown fish and other colorful saltwater fish. I have the room but dont have the ambition or knowledge to set up such a tank.

The closest I’ll ever get is a reef setup on youtube.

You don't need a 150 gallon tank for a reef tank or clownfish. I was keeping and breeding small species of anemone fish (clownfish) in tanks that were 18 inches long x 14 inches wide x 12 inches high. Bigger tanks are better, especially for the bigger species, but a 3 foot long tank will be fine for a pair of the largest anemone fish, some corals, and shrimp if you want shrimp.

Put a 1 inch layer of sand on the bottom, add some limestone rock, fill the tank with seawater (artificial or natural), get the filter running, add ammonia and let it cycle. Once it has cycled, add some corals and a young pr of anemone fish, and turn the lights on.

Feed the fish a couple of times a day, do water changes and clean the filter. Monitor the salinity (salt level), and in 6 months the anemone fish will start breeding. They lay eggs on rocks at the base of anemones of Leather Corals. The male guards the eggs and about 10 days later the eggs hatch and you get hundreds of little fry hanging out under the surface. The fry can be scooped out and put in a rearing tank that is blacked out on all sides, and the fry are fed on rotifers for the first couple of weeks, before adding newly hatched brineshrimp.

All anemone fish are male until they take over a territory, then they become female. If you can't find a pr (2 fish that hang out together all the time), then buy a small one and a bigger one. The big one will be female and the small one will stay male.

A 150 gallon reef tank with clown fish and other colorful saltwater fish. I have the room but dont have the ambition or knowledge to set up such a tank.

The closest I’ll ever get is a reef setup on youtube.
Oh gosh, can I cut my angel fish tank down to 100G and also get a floor to ceiling round saltwater tank too along with knowledge to set it up and care for it? Maybe even a service to come in and clean it. It is afterall, my dream, right?

You don't need a 150 gallon tank for a reef tank or clownfish. I was keeping and breeding small species of anemone fish (clownfish) in tanks that were 18 inches long x 14 inches wide x 12 inches high. Bigger tanks are better, especially for the bigger species, but a 3 foot long tank will be fine for a pair of the largest anemone fish, some corals, and shrimp if you want shrimp.

Put a 1 inch layer of sand on the bottom, add some limestone rock, fill the tank with seawater (artificial or natural), get the filter running, add ammonia and let it cycle. Once it has cycled, add some corals and a young pr of anemone fish, and turn the lights on.

Feed the fish a couple of times a day, do water changes and clean the filter. Monitor the salinity (salt level), and in 6 months the anemone fish will start breeding. They lay eggs on rocks at the base of anemones of Leather Corals. The male guards the eggs and about 10 days later the eggs hatch and you get hundreds of little fry hanging out under the surface. The fry can be scooped out and put in a rearing tank that is blacked out on all sides, and the fry are fed on rotifers for the first couple of weeks, before adding newly hatched brineshrimp.

All anemone fish are male until they take over a territory, then they become female. If you can't find a pr (2 fish that hang out together all the time), then buy a small one and a bigger one. The big one will be female and the small one will stay male.
Hey, this is Fishmanic’s dream. Get out of his head! I think you’re just showing off your knowledge a bit. Get your own dream. Lol!

Too late, someone called me a worm earlier today and now I am in everybody's head, dropping eggs in brains and making mini meees everywhere. :)
Man, I missed that! Hope they’re not goblin meees!

I think as others have said more of the same. First stop would be to separate the "aliens" out of my S. American tank. Well I call it S. American but it is also home to a delightful group of 6 sids Not had any problems but they are quite boisterous for the cories so I would move them into something like 125 litres and add some rasbora for an all Asian tank. Of course that would allow me to put more fish in the S. American, but I would just increase the numbers of what I already have.

If I am allowed to indulge in multiple tank syndrome the next one would be a large tank (say 150G or thereabouts) done as a large scale nano setup. Its also kind of more of the same. My 15G currently has CPD and RCS, but I'd love to do something similar with hundreds of fish (maybe even thousands ;)). I don't think I'd bother with variety, just pick one or 2 species and have them in really large groups.

That is a beautiful tank @Moony42! Is it yours? If so, you should enter it in the next TOTM contest! :)

My dream tank would either be an Arowana tank, with maybe some freshwater stingrays, (Like the King Of DIY), or a Lion Fish tank. (I love lion fish, and I would have to get a huge tank, with a lot of coral, and anemone. But the tank would have to huge to house a lion fish, that is why it is my dream tank.) :)

That is a beautiful tank @Moony42! Is it yours? If so, you should enter it in the next TOTM contest! :)

My dream tank would either be an Arowana tank, with maybe some freshwater stingrays, (Like the King Of DIY), or a Lion Fish tank. (I love lion fish, and I would have to get a huge tank, with a lot of coral, and anemone. But the tank would have to huge to house a lion fish, that is why it is my dream tank.) :)
Lion fish are indeed beautiful in their native habitat which is the indo-pacific. Today they are a major pest on the US west coast and the Caribean with no natural predators and are wreaking havoc with the reef life - to the point of threatening many species with extinction. Nobody knows for sure how they got there but the aquarium trade is generally held responsible. One theory is that Hurricane Andrew destroyed an aquarium in Florida in 1992 and released just 6 into the wild. Today they are a major threat to the ecosystems of the entire region.

I am not a fan of spearfishing with SCUBA but in 2015 on a recreational trip to Tobago I assisted the oceanographic institute in the collection of specimens for study. The professional divers I was with, all marine ecologists or archeologists commited to conservation of marine life, all relished the idea of spearing these. I also witnessed first hand the destruction they are causing on the reefs. In some countries where spearfishing with SCUBA is illegal (IMO it should be like that everywhere because the fish have no chance) the laws have been changed to allow the catching of lion fish with no bag limits.

Rant over :), but please don't support the trade in Lion Fish.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back