Dovii Tank Size?

T-RightFish71196

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was read that a male dovii cichlid can live in an 8 foot tank for life, yet it grows to 2 feet, meaning that the tank is only therefore 4 times the length of the fish. This being the case, why can a fully grown 10 inch jack dempsey not live in a 40 inch tank?

I do see your point. However the volume of water per the fish's mass for a 2ft fish in an 8ft tank is more than a 10" fish in a 40" tank if you go on "standard" 40" tanks being eg 40 x 12 x 15, where an 8ft tank would most likely be 8 x 2 x 2. If it were 8ft x 12 x 15 then no it wouldnt be suitable for a dovii for life. If your 40" tank lengh was a 40 x 20 x 20 they yes I suppose a 10" fish would be ok as the footprint/volume of water was bigger.

I hope you understand what I am getting at because I have re-read it and confused myself now lol lol

A lot of this has to do with the fish's behavior as well. A kole tang can live in a 4 foot tank for life but a yellow tang which isn't all that much larger cannot. It's because of the feeding habits of the fish. The kole requires little room and spends its day pecking at the glass for a bit of algae but the yellow tang likes to range the tank and swim fast so it needs more room.

Ah okay, i see. Just a question out of curiosity really, thanks for the replies.

The one thing I dont get it breeding tanks! you see discus breeding tanks 18 x 18 x 18 now thats for a pair??? and its not big enough for one in many opinions, but it seems acceptable for just pure breeders, go figure!
sad2.gif

I Completely agree! Just because the fish is breeding, doesn't mean that it suddenly has less requirements than if it was not breeding. Discus are a shoaling fish anyway from what i have read so they shouldn't be kept in just pairs

Its hard to make money from breeding fish so if you can cram small tanks into your breeding room rather than recomended size tank you have more chance of profit, the moral side of keeping fish in the right size tank doesnt come in to it, so it seems :(

A bit like the difference between free range and battery farming i suppose......

Darn good way of putting it :) Mass bred fish of poorer quality.

I only occasionally raise fish to sell on, those I do I let the eggs hatch with the parents where possible, if I hand raise I use no chemicals and only small water changes, so I dont get many fish to sell, but those I do sell survive and people who buy them are very happy with them.

Most reactions

Back