Dominance In The Aquarium

B20luda

Reaction score
Hello, lets start out with what i have, i have an african tank with 3 Five bar cichlids 2 are about an inch the other is almost 2, 1 bumble bee cichlid aprox. 5 inchs.. anther african not even sure what he is but is also aprox. 5 inchs and last is a masked cichlid hes about an 1.5ins all these guys are in a 75 gallon bow front tank.. the problem is the 5 bars guys the largest one is very nice and colorful the other 2 are very pale most of the time but are still active and eat, but they dont seem to be growing nearly as fast as the largest, they look healthy besides the color and they dont appear to have any type of wounds from being picked on and what not.. my question is...Is this unhealthy? will it cause slow growth? stress? these are the coolest fish i like them alot they are very colorful, one of my favorite cichlids and i want them grow grow grow...

i used to have the 2 bigger africans with a Jack dempsey and the Jack was the dominate one but the other fish seemed to keep there color much better than the 5 bars... the Jack is in his own tank at the moment because he would eat my little 5 bars until they get bigger...And please i know that there not supposed to go together but they have been together for almost a year until i seperated them...thanks for any help/suggestions you can give me..

i might also add that i have moved tank arragements around and what not and the same fish always seem dominate...

The Bumble Bee will beat the living tar out of all of them. If the dominant critter keeps them in check the "target fish" will grow slowly. Is this unhealthy? Simple of it is yeah, but they'll live.

funny part is the bumble bee isnt the dominate one its the other one of the same size..i should get a pic so you guys can ID it..i forgot what it is

Most reactions

Back