Does Tap Water Kill Lr?

AQUAKING

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Does tap water kill live rock, im thinking of getiing some but i have a FO setup where is use dechlorinated tap water. The dechlorinator says it also gets rid of heavy metals.

so do you think i can add some LR or will the water just kill it?

Yeah, thats cool, is there anything i can add (ever filter media or liquid) that can get rid of some of the other nasties found in tap water that dechloirnator cant get?

thanks

Yeah, thats cool, is there anything i can add (ever filter media or liquid) that can get rid of some of the other nasties found in tap water that dechloirnator cant get?

thanks

If you make sure the dechlorinator binds heavy metals it shoudl help a little (such as seachem prime). The best way is to use RO, but running the water through carbon before mixing with salt should remove some contaminants.

The nasties aren't a problem for fish or the bacteria, but the higher phosphates, nitrates and silicates can promote nuisance algal growth and restrict coral growth in reef systems. FO or FOWL systems tend to have lower lighting and less sensitive inhabitants and as such these are less of a problem.

Should be fine. Just don't expect wondrous growth from any hitchhiking inverts.
What kind of filter are you using to dechlorinate the tap water?
I'm not. I was replying to the OP. My understanding is that the OP is using a chemical dechlorinator added to the tap water.

thanks

If you make sure the dechlorinator binds heavy metals it shoudl help a little (such as seachem prime). The best way is to use RO, but running the water through carbon before mixing with salt should remove some contaminants.

The nasties aren't a problem for fish or the bacteria, but the higher phosphates, nitrates and silicates can promote nuisance algal growth and restrict coral growth in reef systems. FO or FOWL systems tend to have lower lighting and less sensitive inhabitants and as such these are less of a problem.

I'm not. I was replying to the OP. My understanding is that the OP is using a chemical dechlorinator added to the tap water.

yeah im using a chamical dechlorinator, thanks for the information.

one more question, will macro algae be ok in the water too?

thank you

thanks

yeah im using a chamical dechlorinator, thanks for the information.

one more question, will macro algae be ok in the water too?

thank you

if anything macro should be in the water since it can lower some of the nuisance substances in the tap water, like phosphates and nitrates.

if anything macro should be in the water since it can lower some of the nuisance substances in the tap water, like phosphates and nitrates.

Cool, better put in an order for quite a bit lol

thanks for the help guys

thanks for the help guys

i wouldnt order some, macro algae grows so fast (which can be a bad thing) im sure if you have a few local reefers around you they could sacrifice some of their macro algae to you for free. That is of course if they have some.

thanks for the help guys

i wouldnt order some, macro algae grows so fast (which can be a bad thing) im sure if you have a few local reefers around you they could sacrifice some of their macro algae to you for free. That is of course if they have some.

Yeah it is from other reefers tanks, who are selling it on

dont buy macro algae, you can get a great amount (probably better quality) if you just find a LOCAL reefer and stop by their house and pick some up. If you are spending money you are getting ripped off IMO. Find a local reef club, shouldnt be that hard if you at least live in a small or near a small city.

If you dont have any local reefers, then your gonna have to buy unfortunately.

Most reactions

Back