Does My Platy Look Ready To Drop Her Fry Pic Inside

lana

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
she has the white spot on her anal fin but she won't stay still so i can get that

she also hides in the plants at bottom

does she look ready yet ?

Picture059.jpg

Picture060.jpg

Picture061.jpg

Going by the pics no, she aint ready yet but...

How old his she?

Going by the pics no, she aint ready yet but...

How old his she?

i have no idea only had her a week or so

the other platy was bout same size as her i thought i had lots of think and she had them in the tank , needless to say i lost them don't want to lose theses ones,

Nope. Atleast a week and a half in my OP. I would wait for 5teady's verdict though, as he geatly surpasses my knowledge with livebearers.

she doesnt look very big from those pics... but if shes young that could be the reason

tis true when they are very young they often drop just a few. I find it really hard to determine. good luck!

She looks pretty small to me, if this is the case, usually they end up looking like a ball is in them when they are havy pregnant, they dont really square off much when young (this is bacause thier body is smaller and looks more ball shaped)..

I would not like to guess on this one with her being young, but i would say at least 1-2 weeks away..

Her belly should look like this (even when young)..

DSC01654.jpg

Your fish is not as long as mine thats pictured here, this whi she will look a lot more ball shaped in her stomach, when it comes to younger fish, i mainly go by these overhead views and thier behaviour...

Other behaviour when ready to drop...

The fish will be static in movement whilst dropping fry, (only while the fry is actually coming out)
They may hide away in plants and other areas.
They will dwell on the bottom of the tank.
They will go to corners of the tank (top and bottom)
They may hang around the heater, internal filters, etc.

Have a read of my pinned thread, this also may help you more.. CLICK HERE

She looks pretty small to me, if this is the case, usually they end up looking like a ball is in them when they are havy pregnant, they dont really square off much when young (this is bacause thier body is smaller and looks more ball shaped)..

I would not like to guess on this one with her being young, but i would say at least 1-2 weeks away..

Her belly should look like this (even when young)..

View attachment 53617

Your fish is not as long as mine thats pictured here, this whi she will look a lot more ball shaped in her stomach, when it comes to younger fish, i mainly go by these overhead views and thier behaviour...

Other behaviour when ready to drop...

The fish will be static in movement whilst dropping fry, (only while the fry is actually coming out)
They may hide away in plants and other areas.
They will dwell on the bottom of the tank.
They will go to corners of the tank (top and bottom)
They may hang around the heater, internal filters, etc.

Have a read of my pinned thread, this also may help you more.. CLICK HERE

thank so other that her not being the shape she is doing all the above, think i'll leave her in the net for a bit and see

do not ever leave her in a breeding net...

it will cause stress to her...

and stress causes the pregnant one to abort her baby...

just be keen on your platy...

I personally would not recommend just leaving her in the net, release her, and if you want to save fry, just havily plant one side of the tank, the fry will easy survive in them.

I personally would not recommend just leaving her in the net, release her, and if you want to save fry, just havily plant one side of the tank, the fry will easy survive in them.

ok so i listen and take her out of net and guess what she had them last night :crazy:

Can u post a pic of her again? write down the date, she will drop again in 28 days. (ish)

well bugger me, sometimes you just can't tell aye :lol: I would of agreed that she wasn't ready but with young 'ens you just can't tell. Plant plenty of Cabomba in a corner if you want most of them to survive, feed crushed flakes and most of them will be fine - thats if they haven't already been eaten of course!

Most reactions

Back