Does my betta have fin rot or damage? Please help!!

October FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Gabby200029

Reaction score
Recently I noticed my betta’s fins were starting to fray. They’ve been getting worse even with many water changes and aquarium salt.
I am currently doing a fish in cycle. I know it’s not good and I can hurt the fish, however, when I bought the fish I sadly did not know about the nitrogen cycle. I’m trying my best right now but I’m not sure what to do.
My tank is 5 gallons, with a heater and filter. I’ve been testing the water regularly, but it seems very constant and I’m confused about that. My ammonia is always at 0.25 ppm and it will not budge. As for nitrites and nitrates they’re at 0. pH is good and everything seems to be doing great. For the last week I got a bacterial bloom and only now is it starting to calm down. I vacuum the gravel once a week and I do partial water changes multiple times a week.
I recently increased my filter intensity since it was at the lowest setting and I was nervous it wasn’t cleaning my tank. It didn’t seem to bother the fish but his fins look really bad and I feel terrible :( is this the cause or is it fin rot?
I’ve also reduced feeding a lot this week since I noticed his fins to reduce waste, but they just keep getting worse and I have no clue what to do.
*ive had the fish for about three weeks now

Attachments

• CEB9F41B-958F-4318-A967-202D813005E3.jpeg
    CEB9F41B-958F-4318-A967-202D813005E3.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 77
What test strips are you using, exactly? Have you tested your water out of the tap? Are you using water conditioner? What percentage of the water are you changing, exactly, and how many times per week?

Strong filter currents are a known stressor to bettas.

I'd recommend adding live plants and getting adequate lighting for them, since you are doing a fish in cycle. They will help with your water quality, and since it is only a 5 gallon, it wouldn't take much to heavily plant the tank.

What test strips are you using, exactly? Have you tested your water out of the tap? Are you using water conditioner? What percentage of the water are you changing, exactly, and how many times per week?

Strong filter currents are a known stressor to bettas.

I'd recommend adding live plants and getting adequate lighting for them, since you are doing a fish in cycle. They will help with your water quality, and since it is only a 5 gallon, it wouldn't take much to heavily plant the tank.
I’m using API test strips for nitrites and nitrates and for ammonia I’m using a liquid test by API. I haven’t tested my tap water. I am using water conditioner. I do partial water changes 3-4 times a week and they vary between 25-50%. The aquarium came with LED lights, is that sufficient? As for live plants, is it necessary? I’m nervous I won’t know how to properly care for them and I’ll just end up doing more damage. Please help:( do u think the fin damage is fin rot?

I'm not an expert at diagnosing, but it looks to me like it could be fin rot or possibly from fin biting.

As far as the lighting, do you have a link to the actual light itself? For a 5 gallon tank, it wouldn't/shouldn't be too costly to upgrade the lighting, if needed. If you do some research, there are options for very inexpensive DIY lighting options that you can purchase places like home depot. A clip on light with a flourescent bulb, for example, would probably be more than adequate for a 5 gallon, if budget is an issue.

The plants are not necessary, but they will help keep ammonia levels under control and improve your water quality while your tank is cycling. There are plants that are hardier and better for beginners. Some easy ones would include java moss and java fern - these are pretty fool proof plants for beginners.

Testing the tap to see if it reads for ammonia might explain why your ammonia is always .25ppm. If the tap is clear, then you need to really syphon out the gravel/sand when you are doing changes, and change at least 50% each change and do a full water change weekly. The bacteria you need will be growing in the filter, mostly, and other surfaces - changing the water will not effect your cycle as long as you don't also heavily clean your filter.

Most reactions

Back