Do You Actually Need Plants?

spooks

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just setup a new rift valley tank and am in the process of doing a fishless cycle. I just wanted to ask is it absolutely necessary to have plants to consume nitrate or will regular water changed be okay? I have loads of rocks in the tank at the moment and plants never seem to do well in my tank so cant be bothered with the hassle...

Thanks,

spooks

no plants in a rift valley cichlid setup!!!
dany

Yeh thats what I thought, i have seen loads of rift tanks with plants in though. I don't want them in it's just my lfs says I should to remove the nitrate... I didn't think it sounded right so I thought I would check with you guys.

you could put certain plants in the tank if you wish,but,most people who keep malawi's,dont have any plants.get yourself a good quality external filter and plenty of rocks,keep on top of water changes,decent quality food,decent quality fish and you'll have a stunning tank.

I doubt you could squeeze enough plants in to successfully lower nitrates. Use a external filter and add BioNitrex made by JBL. Comes in little sacks a works by enabling anaerobic bacteria to grow thus reducing nitrates. As well as water changes mind!

Most reactions

Back