Do They Grow

thecodfather

Reaction score
hi all just read something cant remember where,(was on here though)(newbie mode on)do real plants grow??are you meant to bury the roots in the gravel??not leave them in the little plant pots they come in????(newbie mode off)

thanks

ceri

hi all just read something cant remember where,(was on here though)(newbie mode on)do real plants grow??are you meant to bury the roots in the gravel??not leave them in the little plant pots they come in????(newbie mode off)

thanks

ceri

yes, as long as they are aquatic and are well fed then they should grow, some however do not need to be anchored 'forms of moss etc'

the pots should defineatly be removed and so should the rock wool surrounding the plants roots - these can contain toxins harmful to fish and also encourage algae growth.

Really? about the rock wool, because when i bought some of my smaller ground plants, i forget the exact scientific name, but the roots were so well embedded in the wool that i had to leave a large portion of it on there.

Good to know though, next time ill remove more, i thought it was neutral.

wow, see i bought new plants and kept them in the plants pots with the wool lol presuming i should take them out. If i do though what do i weigh them down with because using weights on plants without the wool always kills the plants? i actually improvised with a couple of my plants as i didn't have any pots left, i cut a bit of clear plastic hose ( what you get with the gravel cleaners ) and put the plants in there to hold them together then putweights round the tubing, is that ok?

Eeek, Petsathome told me I should be ok to leave them in the pots and the sponge wrap that they came in.

Should I be doing something else?

If so what?

My plants are growing at a rate of knots and I have to keep trimming them every three weeks.

I always take them out of the pot and remove as much of the fiber wool as possible, then plant then into the substrate (flourite), I find the roots are normally enough to hold them down until they take hold but if any of them do start floating I will anchor them with a strip of plant weight :good:

If the roots are growing out of the pot and making it difficult to get off I trim the plastic off with scissors, getting the wool off can also help to stop unwanted guests coming into the tank with the plants but you will always get the occasional hitch hiker

Neil

Once you get the plants out of the pots, trim the roots before planting and it will stimulate growth.

anyone have a link to that recent video Farmer did where he shows this process of preparing and planting the plants? It showed this...

Most reactions

Back