Do I swap my tanks around?

Willbacon23

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey guys, I currently have a very weird set up where my community tank is a 20 gallon and my betta tank is a 25 gallon. I feel the tanks suit the other fish better and was considering swapping them around. (In October either way the community tank is being upgraded to the 25 and the betta to the 20.) I’m wondering whether or not it is worth switching over the filters and the fish inside so that the community fish have more space. People on here will be way more knowledgeable on the stress to benefit so it is purely being asked out of curiousity and people’s opinions which I will follow

You mention switching out the filters. Is there a reason you would do that? Is the filter on the 20 gal tank larger than the one on the 25 gal tank and therefore more appropriate for the larger tank? I'm just wondering why you wouldn't just leave the filters in the tanks they are currently in and just swap the fish?

In the betta tank it’s more gentle. The 20 gal has a more advanced filter with a spray bar attafched hence will have much higher flow- not appropriate for my betta you see

If both tanks are fully cycled and have been for a few months then you should be fine to swap the filters and fish (assuming the water parameters in both tanks are the same?)

If both tanks are fully cycled and have been for a few months then you should be fine to swap the filters and fish (assuming the water parameters in both tanks are the same?)
Both tanks temperature, paramaters are all the same. It’s basically whether the stress it will cause is worth the additional space

I agree with @dmpfishlover the extra room is good for your community fish and would reduce stress. The less crowding the less stress.
I think i May. A couple of corys are stressed in community tank so don’t know if it’s worth moving them just yet or letting them settle a bit more

I also have shrimp in with my betta and they do very well with the betta. Should I also move the shrimp over, as in the community tank they didn’t do quite as well

I also have shrimp in with my betta and they do very well with the betta. Should I also move the shrimp over, as in the community tank they didn’t do quite as well
Whichever tank they do best in :)

You probably will want to move the shrimp with your Betta if they are currently doing well with him...I am not sure what kind of fish you have in your community tank but there is a possibility some of the fish might eat your shrimp?

Most reactions

Back