Do I Just Have Bad Luck? This Is Ridiculous.

Snake42490

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have just about been fed up with my filters. first off i get a new xp3 for my old one that blew a seal and leaked my whole tank on my floor. so tonight i do a water change. and sure enough 1 of my filters is leaking and the other isnt running. take apart get both fixed. the one that was leaking stopped and the xp3 that is now 1 month old working. it starts come back in 5 min water is flying out of the power outlet. It says on the site that its just a bad o ring but seriously i have taken the quick diso off once. how can i seal go bad that fast? what do you guys think i should do. im about ready to try anything lol.. should i kick out all 3 pumps and make my own sump or what im open

One common problem with cannister filters that use the large O ring around the top as a seal is that a grain of sand or small debris in this area breaks the seal and renders it useless.

Its for this reason that I only clean my cannister once a month and when I do I remove the O ring from its seat and thoroughly clean it, then clean the groove where it sits. Once I am happy with that I use vaseline and wipe it all the way around the O ring before carefully reseating it and then carefully returning the filter PO to the top.

I don't get leaks anymore.

Andy

I use the same technique as Andy.

Make sure the O ring is thoroughly clean and apply some vasaline. Havn't had any problems with my eheim classic yet.

Most reactions

Back