Do I Have Too Many Fish In My Tank

keira21

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have had my fish tank for about a year now, and its running nicely!,,, Ive had a few comments from friends and family that i have tooooo many fish in my tank!.. I think it looks ok, but im getting worried that i have too many!...

My tank is 3.5ft Lenght, 2ft depth and 1 ft width ,
Fish i have are
4 neons
6 guppies (14 babys)
5 clown loaches
2 common plecs
1 golden nugget plec
4 haliquins

is this too many?

Hi Keira :)

You don't have too many fish in your tank by any means but some of the fish you listed are actually unsuitable for that tank.

The Clown Loaches, as beautiful as they are can grow up to a foot in length, which is the width of your tank. As you can see this already is a problem. There are however suitable replacements for your tank in the form of loaches. Botia Kubotai are a nice Loach, kept them myself. Very attractive and great little characters who sometimes like to "play fight" :lol: These grow to around 6" rather than double that with the Clowns.

The Common Pleco's will also grow far to big that tank, a possible 2 foot long fish! But again you'll be happy to hear that there are suitable replacements, Bristlenose Pleco's just one of many possibilitys.

Other than that the harlequins and Neons would love more in their shoals.

Happy Fishkeeping, James :good:

Hi All,
I have had my fish tank for about a year now, and its running nicely!,,, Ive had a few comments from friends and family that i have tooooo many fish in my tank!.. I think it looks ok, but im getting worried that i have too many!...

My tank is 3.5ft Lenght, 2ft depth and 1 ft width ,
Fish i have are
4 neons
6 guppies (14 babys)
5 clown loaches
2 common plecs
1 golden nugget plec
4 haliquins

is this too many?

The tank is far too small for the clown loaches I'm really sad to say :-( they grow up to 20-30cm and having 5 in their :-( sorry to be the barer of bad news. As for the rest I'll let others dive in!

+1 to James :good:

Neons should be kept in 6+ numbers as they are a shoaling fish.

You don't have too many fish in your tank by any means but some of the fish you listed are actually unsuitable for that tank.

The Clown Loaches, as beautiful as they are can grow up to a foot in length, which is the width of your tank. As you can see this already is a problem. There are however suitable replacements for your tank in the form of loaches. Botia Kubotai are a nice Loach, kept them myself. Very attractive and great little characters who sometimes like to "play fight" :lol: These grow to around 6" rather than double that with the Clowns.

The Common Pleco's will also grow far to big that tank, a possible 2 foot long fish! But again you'll be happy to hear that there are suitable replacements, Bristlenose Pleco's just one of many possibilitys.

You forgot to mention the Gold Nugget Pleco gets to 14" long :rolleyes: :good:

You forgot to mention the Gold Nugget Pleco gets to 14" long :rolleyes: :good:

Presuming it's not W/C i'd only expect at most 8" out of it, but it's probably unsuitable at that size anyway. Like it says on the species index, I suppose it depends on the actual L number of it.

James.

Most reactions

Back