Do Fish Sleeep?

puppyduck

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Today I saw both our remaining corys Jack and Doug lying on the bottom of the tank not moving but still breathing. As this is what our late cory Panic! looked like before he died I got worried and gave them both a bit of a poke and they were fine.

Do fish sleeep? And is this what they're doing?

And if fish do sleep, do they look a particular way? Doug, just before he woke up, had one of his side fins sort of fanned out and he sort of tilted sideways a bit and then woke up.

I hope they're ok. :S

Our fish go to the bottom of the tank and go all still when they are sleeping. I think its quite sweet! Then when we get up in the morning they come over to the side of the tank and say hi!

fish dont really 'sleep' as such but go into suspended animation to rest. Cories will often sit on the sand and do nothing for quite long periods of time, its nothing to worry about. :)

yup, they go into a resting state, i've experienced it with all my fish they rest on the bottom and don't move. my neons even lose all there color when they rest ,and become pale purple! but, in the morning their natural color revitalises like nothing happened. i wish my eyes could do that in the morning, jeez.

i have seen some fish in small tanks that seem a bit crowded with plants slwmming slightly slanted is this a sign of distress?

Most reactions

Back