Do All Male Bettas Make A Bubble Nest?

mezrie

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Is it routine for these fishes to make bubble nests every so often or does it just happen randomly? What if it never happens? Does this mean something is wrong?

xxx

i think they build nests when they are in a stable environment, and are in the mating season, or can see something in the mirror or outside the tank ( themselves or a female etc),

my baby does it when he is happiest, his water has just been changed or he has just chased his own reflection off!!! :rolleyes: :D

I have 4 male bettas right now, and i had a 5th one a few years ago. The ones i have now live in nice big clean bowls but hardly ever make real bubble nests. some stray bubbles are always on the top of the water but not real bubble nests. The one i had before made huge and i mean HUGE bubble nests all the time. I think there are a lot of reasons why bettas build them and somtimes they never realy do. Building a bubble nest is one way to tell if your betta is happy and in a good envirement. but like i said, my bettas are in roomie bowls and very happy, but they hardly ever build a good nest.

Is it routine for these fishes to make bubble nests every so often or does it just happen randomly? What if it never happens? Does this mean something is wrong?

xxx
hes just showing you hes happy :D

all bettas even the females can make bubble nests, usually the females dont, all males can and if happy with their environment or horny and ready to breed they will. Some males still wont how ever hard you try to entice them.

my one had a large bubble nest the day i got him in a tank all by himself (it was divided before but shadow was afraid of him...long story). my other betta, shadow, hasn't even attempted one. i dont know if it's because he's young or just doesn't want to, but pacific keeps a nice large bubble nest going.

Could someone post a picture of the bubble nest? Im intrigued

here's a pic of my boys first nest that he made for me

nest.jpg

both Mystic and Darts have amazing compitions to fight to see who is more superior. They are both very fit and strong, because they flare and look at each other all day. Their bubblenests are also one of their compitions. They both make bubblenests approximately 15cm by 20cm. They are relatively thick and they have tons of fun :p

My guy once had a HUGE bubble nest...but then it over time smeared against the wall...

Extremely off topic but what kind of tank do you have?

oooh thats a massive one. My boy has started just doing smaller ones now. My other one thinks hes a girl :rolleyes:

Most reactions

Back