Diy Reflector

mrapoc

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Is it possible to make your own reflector with something like kitchen foil?

I have a 36w compact t5 (one of the dual ones - daylight plus) over 70litres of water - would it even be worth it or make the light so strong that growth will go out of control?

p.s sorry i havent been around for a while :good:

You could make one, but the foil would need to be perfectly smooth.

The other option is to buy a piece of thin steel (by thin, I mean 0.5mm thick max). You can bend it to shape, spray it with car primer and then use something like Platicote Chrome spray to finish it. You may need a couple of coats. Pop a spray lacquer on top and it'll be ready to go.

It won't be quite as reflective as a purpose made, shop bought one and it could work out quite expensive. Whether or not it is worth it is entirely up to you.

You could make one, but the foil would need to be perfectly smooth.

The other option is to buy a piece of thin steel (by thin, I mean 0.5mm thick max). You can bend it to shape, spray it with car primer and then use something like Platicote Chrome spray to finish it. You may need a couple of coats. Pop a spray lacquer on top and it'll be ready to go.

It won't be quite as reflective as a purpose made, shop bought one and it could work out quite expensive. Whether or not it is worth it is entirely up to you.

Or you could Polish the steel with a polishing mop set. with a bit of time you can get a clear mirror finish that should work well. but it would cost about the same price unless your going for a 8ft tank...

Ive lashed up one with foil, glued to a cardboard "lampshade" lasted a while before it got wet ! :blush: But this was as a pendant... cardboard wouldnt live long in a hood.

One plan I had was to use plastic guttering lined with foil, but as I needed to buy all this - it turned out cheaper to buy reflectors !

Hey, try this stuff from eBay!................Item number 250329030063

why dont you make a v shaped reflector out of wood then paint it white..works better than foil

Basic reflectors are usually less than 20 bucks shipped. I think it would be cheaper if you just bought one. Itll be of better quality and it will save you a bunch of time and energy. Try www.customaquatic.com

Most reactions

Back