Diy Overflow

dylema

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Over the last few weeks I have been thinking about adding a sump to my 3’ aquarium to increase the water volume so I could add more fish. It soon became apparent that there is one major issue with adding a sump to a non-drilled tank: The Overflow. Looking around it seemed that an overflow box was the best choice since it does what needs to be done: allows water to siphon out of the tank when the water level rises above a certain level and will stop siphoning when the water drops below that level. And most important, it will re-start when the water level rises again. So as long as the siphon is maintained the system will work.

I also discovered that for two acrylic boxes they are frightfully expensive. So I got to thinking how can I make one of these myself. I drew up plans and worked out that I could probably bend acrylic after heating it and I hoped I could drill it without breaking the sheet. It seemed quite possible but not really easy to get a good product. During my research I found a device called a ‘Durso Stand Pipe’ which promises to make the overflow more quiet. One night as I was thinking of something else an idea popped into my head. I though a bathroom sink has an S-bend pipe which holds water why can’t I use an S-bend to maintain my siphon? A U shaped siphon tube with an S-bend into a ‘Durso Stand Pipe’. What a simple idea. So here it is
“Dylan’s Overflow”.

My specifications are base on a flow rate of about 1000 liters per hour. This idea could easily be adapted to a larger flow rate.

What you will need is 25mm internal diameter piping:

· 5 x 90° bends
· 5 x 30mm lengths for joining
· 1 x T piece
· 1 x end cap
· 1 x 200mm length of pipe
· 1 x 150mm length of pipe
· 1 x length of pipe to sump

Allpipes.jpg

note, drain pipe not shown.

To put this all together you will need to fix the joins with pvc glue or silicone but you can test it out first as the joins are fairly tight even without glue. Start with the siphon tube take two 90° bends and join them with one 30mm piece of pipe. On one side put the 200mm pipe and on the other the 150mm piece.

SiphonTube.jpg

Next make another U with two more 90° bends and another 30mm piece. Put this U onto the 150mm pipe.

SiphonBend.jpg

Next Join the T piece to a 90° bend with a 30mm piece and join the 90° bent to the previous U.

SiphonSbend.jpg

Nearly done. Drill a tiny hole in the end cap, I used a 1.5mm drill. This is to prevent a full siphon down to the sump which would drain the pipe and stop the siphon probably ending in disaster.

EndCap.jpg

Now you can put the end cap onto the top of the T with the last 30mm piece. The drain pipe to the sump attaches to the bottom of the T. You will also need a larger tube with a sealed bottom inside the tank to keep the siphon tube submerged and to keep the water in the main tank level. I used a clear plastic tube which already has the bottom sealed. The top of this tube will be the minimum water level in the main tank. Alternatively you could make another U and have a tube up to the water level (I have not tested the latter but in theory it will work).

Finished.jpg

I tested this using a large square bucket acting at the main tank and my bath acting as the sump and it worked perfectly. I tested the flow rate by having a 9 liter bucket on the bottom of the drain tube and timed how long it took to fill. It took 30 seconds, I repeated the test a number of times to check and every time the bucket filled in 30 seconds or less. This gives a flow rate of 1080 liters per hour.

Here is a 'paint' diagram to further illustrate.

Overflow.jpg

Important notes:

-The T piece must be above both ends of the siphon tube otherwise water will run out of the tube and break the siphon
-The hole in the end cap must be large enough for air to rush in and break the siphon at that point when the water level drops. 1.5mm was enough in my testing but check for yourself. A larger hole will slow down the device slightly but will be safer.
-All joints must be sealed to prevent air entering and breaking the siphon

To increase the flow rate there are two things that can be done:
Firstly increase the size of piping.
Secondly increase the length of the 200mm and 150mm pipes which will make the siphon stronger due to a larger drop from the water surface to the base of the S-bend. (if you use this method you will need to extend the end cap tube to bring it above the tank water level so there is not chance of water coming through the hole).

Hi, just wondering how did you start the siphoning action? :blink: Looks good.

Hi, just wondering how did you start the siphoning action? Looks good.

Well I tried a couple of ways, firstly without a long pipe going down to the sump I submerged the whole thing and tipped it about to get the air out and then put plastic and rubberbands over the ends and lifted it into place and took the plastic off. This it pretty messy and would be a real pain when it was all set up properly.

The second more convenient way was I put it in place and sealed the bottom of the pipe going to the sump with plastic and rubberbands and took the cap with the little hole off and sucked on that pipe and that drew the water through, it took a couple of goes but it was not too bad. I think if you were careful you can do this without drinking the water as this is a pretty gross idea.

i just put it in place, blocked the little hole at the top and sucked on the bottom pipe :D works great! thx dylema

tanks DG

i just put it in place, blocked the little hole at the top and sucked on the bottom pipe works great! thx dylema

I hope you didn't swallow too much water.

I still haven't got mine on the tank I have no money for the powerhead and sump tank so it is just sitting in the cupboard for now. Glad to hear it works for someone else too.

mine is on a marine tank so i made sure not to get water in my mouth :D damn that stuff is nasty!
works perfectly tho, tanks a lil time to get going after the tanks drained a lil but it works perfect!just have to make sure my sumps pump chamber is always quite full :D

many thx m8 :D

DG

how did you stop your fish from going into the Jar. as the fish would then get sucked into the sump

There are a couple of ways. one, you can have an arrangement with plastic 'teeth' that stick up past the water level (you may have seen this in overflows in LFS aquariums), another is to have a pipe not a jar which sticks out of the water and have lots and lots of holes in it with the lowest holes being at the lowest acceptable water level. Another way would be to put a course sponge in the jar which would also act as a pre filter but might cut down the water flow too much. I would prefer type 1 or 2.

lol i just put plasti-mesh round the top of it :D will try and get some pic of mine in action for ye sometime soon.

DG

ok i tried to get a pic, but because its all so tight around the back i cant :( but you can see some of it in this tank shot)

S1010046.jpg

working great tho.

DG

Bump

Die_Grinder I was just wondering if it is still going strong?

I ended up getting a fluval FX5 instead of setting up the sump.

Dylan

Most reactions

Back