Diy Metal Halide

garybuk

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Looking for a cheap diy metal halide

Just need to no a few bits about it really?

What bulbs shud i be wanting to use?

Is an ELECTRONIC BALLAST ok to use?

Im looking to go for 70w x2 or maybe 150 x 2 , and make my own boxes to suite my tank! :good:

anyone help ??? would be really greatfull if you can :good:

for one of my older tanks i modded an outdoor 500 watt halogen light fixture to take a 150 watt metal halide bulb.

i used the double ended rx7 bulb for mine and all i have to do with the light fixture was raise up the bulb holder by about 20mm to allow the prongs that hold the bulb to bend out enough so they dont touch the side and that was it.

Then just wired it up with some normall 3 core cable that you use for extension leads or flex cable as its more formally known, wire it into the ballast (electronic ballast will be fine) fit the plug with a 3 amp fuse and your ready to go.

as compared to a magnetic (its one of those add another line to the sentence/story)

Mine will use an electronic balast, with a 150W 14,000K lamp in a proper halide cage that is bolted to the top of my tank. Parts from ebay totaled £51.99, which is far cheaper than the cost of pre-built units on ebay, and anything in aquatics shops. Some DIY stores will stock the parts though, they don't need to be aquatics specific :good: Mine has been tested and works. Just waiting for the silicone to set on my tank and I can get into getting the liverock to start it up. Lamp works a treat mind. Caution they run hot, I've already burnt myself on it, and it isn't even in service yet :rolleyes:

HTH
Rabbut

Mine will use an electronic balast, with a 150W 14,000K lamp in a proper halide cage that is bolted to the top of my tank. Parts from ebay totaled £51.99, which is far cheaper than the cost of pre-built units on ebay, and anything in aquatics shops. Some DIY stores will stock the parts though, they don't need to be aquatics specific :good: Mine has been tested and works. Just waiting for the silicone to set on my tank and I can get into getting the liverock to start it up. Lamp works a treat mind. Caution they run hot, I've already burnt myself on it, and it isn't even in service yet :rolleyes:

HTH
Rabbut

kool thanks! could you pm the links on ebay to the parts?

PM'ed. Acctually, the price has gone down since I traded with the company I bought from. Typical :rolleyes: Now they are at £41.99 delivered. Anyone else feel free to PM me for a link if you're interested :good:

PM'ed. Acctually, the price has gone down since I traded with the company I bought from. Typical :rolleyes: Now they are at £41.99 delivered. Anyone else feel free to PM me for a link if you're interested :good:

got some 600w ones :good:

just need the e40 plug!

Most reactions

Back