Diy Led Lighting: There Is An Easier Way!

ech0o

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So I have been trying to build a high output LED fixture for a little while now, got some really inexpensive 1W led lights and everything I needed to wire them up, and I cannot for the life of me get the current right and get these things working properly.

So I thought back to what someone told me when I first started all of this, to use the LED e27 retrofit bulbs instead.   So I have been looking around and believe I have found a fairly inexpensive way to build an LED fixture run on standard e27 bulb sockets.  It seems it will be more inexpensive than buying heatsinks and fans etc, when each retrofit bulb is an intricate heatsink in itself (some of which contain MANY of the 3w CREE LED's), and the sockets are REALLY cheap, like $3 or $4 dollars each, could probably wire it up to a PVC fixture for close to nothing!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Powerful-12W-MR16-E27-E26-GU10-4x3W-LED-Lamp-Spotlight-Warm-Pure-Cool-White-Bulb-/400546517958?pt=US_Light_Bulbs&var=&hash=item5d426ed3c6  less than $1 per bulb, 4-leds per bulb.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/On-off-Switch-E27-Lamp-Holder-Socket-AC-250V-10A-light-w-3m-Power-Cable-Cord-/180977978043?pt=US_Lighting_Parts_and_Accessories&hash=item2a2320cabb   socket

This seems to me to be the easiest way to wire your own setup as each bulb is equipped with proper resistors and ready to screw into an e27 socket!!  Any thoughts?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You're going to need a lot of sockets! Lots of wires and plugs :/

those 3w leds are brighter than you think, 4 in each bulb, you wouldn't need many in a smaller tank, and you wire them all together, not plug each one in.

I am confused - could you draw up a diagram?

8odljlr.jpg

Ah very nice, your work is amazing!  Better than I think I will ever achieve!!  

I've been using the GU10 LED fixtures for a few years with no issues whatsoever in a heavily planted tank that's 1m deep.

Beats paying £££'s for 'aquarium' fittings - total of 5 watts per LED unit, available in 'daylight white' and pure blue, it really does make my setup look stunning.

Most reactions

Back