DIY Hood

Sime

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've just found this section so thought I'd post my self-made hood. I had the standard Jewul hood on my tank, but when i needed more wpg of light to help my plants - there was no room to fit an extra tube! So i made my own from scratch, here are some pics of it....

Tube holders bought and screwed into place:

Dscf0042.jpg

Two bulbs added, both Arcadia, one freshwater origional and one tropical:

Dscf0043.jpg

The two light swicthed on:

Dscf0045.jpg

In total the two light provide my with just over 2 watts per gallon :D

Those reflectors are not ideal; it would be best to remove them and paint the inside of the hood white; you will get much more light to your plants that way.

It's not helping your plants untill it hits them.

oh right, i didnt know that - they're commercial reflectors - Arcadia ones. So just painting white will be even better?

What paint do you recommend? I don't have a glass cover or evaporater, so if the paint is toxic, then what? I couldn't find any non-toxic paint in Home Depot. Can anyone help me out?

Discomafia said:
What paint do you recommend? I don't have a glass cover or evaporater, so if the paint is toxic, then what? I couldn't find any non-toxic paint in Home Depot. Can anyone help me out?
bump* :whistle:

i'd like to know the answer to this one too please.

steve

I used bog standard white satin emulsion, and covered it in a really thick layer of yacht varnish (sparrex, or spar varnish it might be called). Paint probably is toxic, but the varnish should keep it in and if any leaks out it will be so small so as not to make a difference.

Those reflectors are not ideal

I think those reflectors are perfect. If you dont have reflectors I would recomend painting the inside of your hood bright white. White paint is 100% better than , let say, uhm tinfoil.
White paint is now where close to ideal. just a cheap, easy DIY solution.

I agree. The white paint would reflect but for ease of use and safety teh reflectors are the way to go. With out a glass lid even the fumes from not completely dry paint could have a bad effect.

tin foil (metal foil for keeping foods covered) is not a reasonable option.

IMO The reflectors themselves are also a lot easier to clean when they get evaporation stains.

obviously some light is reflected back into the tube when using reflectors but the flat faces of the hood also mean not much more light is reflected into the tankwhen they are painted white.

why not line it with mirrors? :dunno:

:D

What makes tin foil unreasonable? This is probably a dumb question but I've always covered any lights in my house with tin foil backings to get extra light and it works really well and I don't see what makes it bad for an aquarium. :huh:

Most reactions

Back