DIY fish tank/aquarium??

fI$H_FaCe

Reaction score
well hi there guys, i am just looking for a good do it yourself thread that highlights good materials to use for making your own tank...

BTW, my tank is going to be about 70 gallons i would think (about 54x18x24)

any guidance would be appreciated :D

-Brad

Unless you are going to build a large tank, or a very unusual sized tank then you are better off buying a tank. Often you can get someone to make a bespoke tank for less than the price you can source the materials for anyway...

But if you really want to, do a google on "garf diy tank" and that should get you to his guidance page with a cut list and step by step instructions.

HIH

Andy

thanks alot,

i would buy a tank for sure...but to buy a tank around here they are really expensive....and i priced all the glass today and i can buy the glass and the silicon for the tank for only $138 cdn from a local shop plus a bit of wood i would need for a stand and framing....and i see 45G tanks for about 250 here everytime i look for one. and i am the type of guy who like to do things himself and takes pride in knowing I made it. i guess i'l read through that link thoroughly, thanks

-Brad

A quick bit of advice I learned but not contained in Garf's pages is to put masking tape down the side of the beading area. That way, after you run your finger down, wait 5 mins and then remove the tape. You now have a lovely straight edge to your silicone bead.

andywg said:
A quick bit of advice I learned but not contained in Garf's pages is to put masking tape down the side of the beading area.  That way, after you run your finger down, wait 5 mins and then remove the tape.  You now have a lovely straight edge to your silicone bead.
[snapback]919821[/snapback]​

yah that would make it real clean , thanks for that tip

i have been reading A LOT on this site
http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/aquariumd...120897diyaq.htm

and it seems to have tonnes of great reading in there and a bunch of helpful links aswell :cool:

Also, if you build the aquarium you will need to take into account the height of the tank. The taller the tank the thicker the glass required. Volume doesn't matter as much as height. Research before you begin

Most reactions

Back